Chapter 7 - Escaped

After we had our talk, something buzzed from the nightstand. The general turned and picked up what seemed to be a data pad. As he touched it, it instantly lit up and images appeared on it's screen. His eyebrows furrowed as he scrolled down. What was going on? I tried to read what I could see from my position, but to no avail.

After a few minutes of him scanning the thing, he stood and walked out of the room, not another word.

Odd.

I stood and walked around the room, rubbing slightly at the bandage on my thigh. It had been healing already, thank heavens. My limp was gone, and I could walk without feeling a sting from that area now. I suddenly remembered the lightsaber my dad gave me. I searched frantically around the room for it.

Where was it?

If something had happened to it... no, I can't afford to let anything happen to it. It was the only thing I had left of dad. I can't let anything happen to it.

I have to find it

I rummaged through his desk and cabinet but couldn't find it. Panic raced through my veins as I searched under the bed, around the floor, and on the nightstand. I remembered I had to calm down, lest the force go haywire again. I had to not destroy anything while the general was away, he made that clear enough. I took a deep breath and exhaled. I had to be calm.

Stay calm

Stay calm

The lightsaber was nowhere in the room, which meant it was probably with the general. I remembered him taking it from his belt before, maybe he still had it. I stayed calm and collected, hoping that what I had deduced was correct. 

I have to finish it

Somehow, I had to finish building that thing. Even though I wasn't as good an inventor as my father, I had picked up a few tricks and tips from him. I walked towards the bed and sat back down. 

What now

Twirling my fingers on the bed sheets, I began imagining the sea. The waves, the ocean. The sky so beautiful and blue. I remembered the beach behind the forest I used to grow up in back in my planet. Those beautiful white sand, feeling them as you curl your toes into them, the water so blue and the seafoam reaching just at the tip of your toes if you walked closer. 

I stopped and thought... maybe I should try something.

I closed my eyes.

And I saw it. Everything.

I ran up the beach of my home. It was as if I had never left. As if it had never been destroyed. I was here. Was I really? I didn't care. Everything was as it should always be. I inhaled and smelled the fresh seawater smell, I couldn't help but smile. It was exactly like I remembered. I walked along the shore, leaving footprints behind. It felt like home. I felt the sand as I curled my toes, and walked farther. I walked closed to the water that when the waves came down the water would reach my feet. I never really learnt how to swim. My father always warned me to never go into the water. It would be too deep, and so I never learned.

Later on, I sat on the shore. folding my knees up and resting my hands on them. I took a deep breath and exhaled. Everything seemed so peaceful. If I turned back and went through the forest, would I find my old home?

I already knew the answer.

No

It had been destroyed already. No amount of memory could rebuild an entire planet. Perhaps fragments of it, maybe, but never as a whole. I could never have my home back.