Chapter 20 - A Heart for a Heart

The next morning was a bit dismal, and Ren acted as if nothing ever happened. Well, I mean, nothing did happen. But, the events last night weren't ones I could just brush off. When we woke up, we were in each other's arms, I felt him hesitate as he slowly removed his arm from my body, and I did the same thing with my arms. Before we stood up though, there was another moment of hesitation, one where Ren held his gloved hand up my cheek, caressed it with his thumb, all the while looking at me with sorrowful eyes flooded with pain. I pursed my lips, not knowing what to say to him to make him feel better.

Last night, did I just dream that he said he needed me? It should have been a dream, why would someone like him need me? What was happening between us?

After a long minute of looking into each other's eyes and not saying anything, Ren stood up. He grabbed his helmet from behind and placed it back on his head, I sighed as I heard the metallic hisses and clicks. He turned towards the entrance of the cave, which now served as the exit, and marched onward.

"You don't have to wear that around me, you know." I muttered.

He stopped in his tracks and looked at me.

"You have nothing to hide from me." I said, walking closer towards him.

He turned his back on me.

He walked out.

Did I push it too far?

I sighed then followed him out the cave. 

***

I yawned as we walked on and on this planet. Did Ren even know where he was going?

"How much farther are we?" I groaned.

I had been complaining A LOT for the past hour, and him ignoring me wasn't helping at all. I did all I could think of to entertain myself while walking behind the oaf. Putting my palm out, I tried willing the lightning to appear, and when it did, I tried experimenting a bit, I tried making it stay on my hand for a long time, and not just a sudden spark. Focusing my mind, the lightning on my hand froze, it looked like a piece of art protruding from my hand. 

The art on my hand disappeared with a spark as I slammed face first into Ren's back. I groaned, rubbing my nose.

"Damn it, Ren-"

He shushed me by raising a hand, when I silenced, he pointed towards something in front of us. I looked and saw an even bigger and darker cave than the one we stayed in. The entrance was huge, and inside, I could make nothing out because of how dark it was, even it was still day out. I looked at Ren with a determined expression on my face.

"So, we go in, get the crystal then go out, right?" I said.

I just want to get this over with

"Let's hope so."

Great. That was cheerful. We walked inside the cave. I looked around and noticed there were some things on the floor, some armor, some clothes, weapons, all kinds of things. Was this cave some sort of place where people left behind their most prized possessions? What could this crystal do anyway that made the supreme leader want it? And if he trusted me and Ren, his own  apprentice, to take it, maybe it was meant to be easy? Seeing as he allowed me to come along. Or did I provide some leverage over here...

My thoughts were thrown aside as we went deeper inside the cave. On the ground... there were...

I squinted my eyes as they adjusted to the dimming light that was from the entrance of the cave. Pretty soon it was dark enough that we couldn't see a thing. I had an idea and ignited my lightsaber, Ren looked at me for a minute then turned his on as well. I used it as a light source. Then we walked further, our steps became noisier. I stepped on some... things. Cracking sounds could be heard. I crouched down and held my lightsaber up against the ground, and I jumped back as I realized what we were stepping on.