Interception and Dejection

One week later

One week later...

"You threw the Shore woman out then?" Marian asked as she entered her chamber after seeing the Princesses and their brother safely to bed, wiping away their tears and singing softly to them as she had been doing for the past six nights. She approached Richard who was sitting in a chair by the fire. He nodded, looked up as she walked towards him, her nightgown hanging loosely on her body, her dark hair free from constraint and framing her face.

"Yes, yes I did. It was one of the few ways I could think to go about easing the Queen's grief a little." Marian sat down opposite him, her mind running over the pitiful scene she had just witness of Jane Shore being escorted by Sir Robert Brackenbury from the palace grounds, never to return.

It had settled Marian's conscience a little to see the dead King's mistress go as she knew how much frustration and anguish her presence had caused to Elizabeth, even more so now with Edward gone. It was only fitting that his favourite whore went too. To be completely honest though, the departure of Mistress Shore was slightly disconcerting to Marian as she knew well that the woman was no simple minded fool; knew how to charm men, knew how to get them into bed and spill all of their secrets, as well as their seed, when they were with her.

The Duchess wondered what she would do next, how she would use her charms, who she would go to. Was it possible she would turn from York as they had turned from her?

Marian quickly voiced her concerns to Richard who replied that Jane Shore was no longer an issue that the new focus was the young King.

"Hm" she replied "we must focus on making him as secure as possible...he's only twelve. Lord Grey will bring him back to London, back to his family" now Richard shook his head
"Nay. That is what I will do" he said
"Richard?" She asked, frowned at her husband
"I am going to Wales in the morning, well, heading there anyway, I intend to intercept the boy and his party"
"Why would you do that? He is safe with Lord Grey"

"I do not trust him, Marian" Richard replied "I do not trust any of the Woodvilles...I never have. It is only the Queen and her brother Anthony that I have ever grown to like, to trust. Now I do fear that they will turn against me, there are many at court who despise the Queen and her family. Elizabeth will be seeking protection from her son now that my brother is dead. She needs the new King to keep her safe...or it may not be very long until she is dead herself."
"Richard!" Marian cried "how on earth could you say such a thing?! You know damn well the Queen trusts us, trusts you! Your grief is blinding you to reason"

"I will gather some of my men together, Francis, Harry, Rob (who I heard arrived last night) perhaps Brackenbury as well, and together we will find young Edward and Lord Grey. We will take hold of the King and he will be safe with us"
"By kidnapping him?!" The Duchess shouted standing. Her husband stood as well, took her by the shoulders "Elizabeth shall not stand for this and nor will I!"