CHAPTER 4: ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING (MATT'S POINT OF VIEW)

I watched as a single glistening tear rolled down her cheek to soak into the patterned hospital gown that had replaced my own shirt. I had been offered it back when I had refused to go home to change. I had shrugged into it despite its damp state and each breath sent her apple scent straight up my nose 

I reached out as another tear followed, slowly  wiping it from her cheek turning it into a caress as it would be one of the few times I could actually express my feelings. 

I felt her hand move in mine and hope rose in my chest thinking it was a sign for her to be waking up. However, my hope soon turned to worry as her body started to shake and no matter what I did to try to calm her down didn't work. Desperate I let go and hopped on my unbandaged foot to the door  to yell out of it for some help. Heads swivelled towards me, nurses and doctors alike approached hurriedly. From the looks I gained I was soon becoming seen as disruptive but honestly I didn't really cared, I only cared about Kitty who was lying only meters away.  

The doctor who we had seen earlier and for whom I had promptly forgotten his name soon after being told, neared first and I urged him into the room. Retreating back into the room myself, my eyes were drawn to the still thrashing Kitty and I rushed to retake hold of her hand. 

"She started doing this a couple of minutes ago and I can't calm her down. I usually can if she is having a nightmare but not today, what's wrong with her doc? Fix her please." I nearly choked on my plea and hastily averted my gaze so that my back is to him to shield the drops that fell onto our entwined hands. I wiped away the evidence on my cheeks as I heard him scratching away on the chart and having a hushed discussion with someone else.

 "I have received consent to go ahead with anything deemed necessary by her parents so I will prescribe her a drug which should calm her down." I nearly missed the slight edge to his voice when he mentioned her parents but maybe that was just pushing my views onto him and hearing what I wanted. "I have also ordered an MRI scan, which will allow us to view the brain to see if there has been any damage. A porter will be around to collect her when the machine is free." His voice grew kinder as he continued, "However, it is my personal experience that sometimes Matt, our bodies want to wake up but the mind isn't ready so it prevents it from doing so. I believe this is what is happening. The drug is fast acting and you can already see a change but in the meantime just try and talk to her to help calm her down. You're a familiar voice in an unfamiliar place."

After swallowing I replied "saying what?"

"Anything and everything, I'm sure you'll think of something. Maybe something you shared together: a happy memory perhaps!"

"You sound more like a shrink that a doctor, doc"

Laughing slightly he replied "I get that a lot, maybe I chose the wrong profession," in a joking fashion. "But perhaps it might have something to do with my parents being as you so poetically put 'shrinks'. It seems that I have inherited the gift, much to the nurses' dislike, or so it would seem." He chuckled as if remembering a fond memory as I heard shoes squeak as someone fidgeted.

This doctor is way too happy I thought looking at the laughter lines around his eyes. Aren't normal doctors all moaning about the patients, the NHS and lack of sleep...Ah well, now what shall I say, hmm. 

The silence stretched out as I glanced my eyes across her figure until my eyes caught on her bracelet that I had given her at a fair ground just before she was ten. It was a cheap thing, the once bright colours long since faded but she had never taken it off and she had vowed that she never would. Fiddling with the frayed ends of my identical bracelet I began to talk about the fair, watching as her face relaxed. As more of her muscles seemed to relax from their tensed state I breathed a sigh of relief. I was interrupted midsentence by the annoyingly squeaky door opening as he commented "oh and by the way it's Doctor Bosh, just so you know who to yell when you need something else" exiting with a wink.