CHAPTER 23: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

"What can I do for you officer?" I heard Betty ask as I strained to hear whilst trying to keep so still that it was actually hurting.

"Hello Ma'am. Sorry to disturb you but we have had reports of a young man and woman in this area that we need to get in contact with and I was wondering if you had seen them?"

"No I haven't seen anyone officer."

"Are you sure it looks like they headed straight through here?"

"I'm sure I may be old but it gets quite lonely out here after my husband passed so I think I would remember some young blood around the place. What did they do anyway that you're looking for them?"

"My condolences about your husband but I'm sorry I can't disclose the details. If you do see them though then I think it would be best to keep your distance and to phone me on this number if you do."

"I'll be sure to do that offi-"

With no prior warning a sudden sneeze worked its way out which although wasn't that loud the accompanying leg movement hit the metal side creating a sound that I winced at as there was no doubt that it could be heard outside the car.

"What was that? It sounded like it was coming from your boot?"

Footsteps got louder and louder as the heavy footfalls of a booted man came closer. Turning to Sean panicking my breathing sped up and the urge to make a break for it grew stronger until a hand covered my mouth followed by urgent shaking of his head. The fear of being found was rising.

"Would you mind opening your boot Ma'am they may have snuck inside whilst you weren't looking?"

"I would if I could but that locks been damaged for a while it was always on the 'to do' list but it never seemed to get done. It's an old car so noises frequently occur but I think it just adds character and it reminds me so much of my Joey that I can't bear to part with it."

"Alright, well please remember to call if you see them or remember anything."

"I will. Have a good day officer."

"You too Ma'am and thank you for your time."

The car door slammed before the engine sputtered into life and his hands slowly released my mouth. Stretching my jaw out from its fixed position I breathed a silent sigh of relief, still too scared to believe we avoided being captured. As we moved over the uneven dirt road the suspension showed just how old she said the car was. A particularly jarring bump caused me to crash into the rear of the boot knocking the wind out of me. 

"Are you alright?" He whispered reaching out towards me.

"Just great."

We settled into silence as we changed onto smoother roads and I just stared up at the ceiling eyes having adjusted to the minimal light. 

"Where exactly are we going?" I asked into the silence, the only other sound from the whirring engine. 

"It's a small place that I used to go when I was little when he..."

"When he what? And who?" I asked his voice alarming me. 

"Never mind, I shouldn't have said anything. It was a lovely little place right on the-"

"No, don't stop what were you saying?"

"I...Ri I don't want to speak about it now, it's not the right time."

"But you can't just-" 

"I promise," he took a deep breath and continued "I promise that I will tell you but not just now."