Chapter 9 - Resignation Application

It was like those six lines of sight were lasers that shot Xu Bai Chuan a chilling gaze.

During that short moment when Xu Bai Chuan was staring blankly at the scene, Tang Jin was the first to face him. His lips were moving with the intent to speak yet they stopped. Just as in the past, Cheng Xu was full of evil tricks as he beamingly waved at him. Song Yi Yu, however, was bright and immediately smiled at him. Taking the initiative, he stood up in greeting, grasped Xu Bai Chuan’s arms and delightfully said, “Are you that Mr. Xu who had been taking care of Yuan Yuan?”

Yuan Yuan is Tang Jin’s childhood name that nobody knows apart from the friends that he grew up with. Ever since Tang Jin entered junior high, he disliked people from home calling him by this name and even his parents had to yield to him. Xu Bai Chuan came to know this name from hearing Tang Jin’s grandfather calling him that once in a while. Later on, he felt the name was strangely cute and called Tang Jin by this name. This caused Tang Jin to be angry to the point that his entire face became red and he let out a bellow of rage. Just like always, Xu Bai Chuan relented to Tang Jin, not wanting to infuriate him and make him unhappy, so the name was pushed to the back of his mind.

Xu Bai Chuan subconsciously took a glimpse at Tang Jin and found that he didn’t react. After facing each other for an instant, Xu Bai Chuan’s line of sight deviated to Song Yi Yu.

Both the Tang and Song were relatively large traditional families. No matter what part of the world they were at during the year, they would use their utmost efforts to finish work nearing the end of the year. When the night of Lunar New Year’s Eve arrives, all members of the family must assemble at the elder’s home until the third day. Therefore, the seven-year separation of Song Yi Yu and Tang Jin wasn’t a vacuum at all. Besides, those two would video chat every few days during the first two years.

Xu Bai Chuan understood from those words. So during those multiple times of communication, Tang Jin had never mentioned his name, even to the extent that Song Yi Yu only came to know of his existence via Tang Jin’s parents.

Xu Bai Chuan: “…”

After all, the white moonlight and cinnabar mole ¹ must lay at the apex of the heart. As for a hideous mess like him, Tang Jin had already barred his existence early on.
[T/N: 1 Represents the eternal love a man has for a woman, his unwavering commitment and their lifelong promise.]

Xu Bai Chuan tried to maintain a smile, “That’s me.” He also tried to win gratitude in passing. “Tang Jin often spoke of you.”

Song Yi Yu was fairly happy. “Really? Did he not speak well of me?”

Being so close, Xu Bai Chuan couldn’t help sizing up the person he regarded as his love rival for the past seven years— He had always been complimented for his white skin, but today was the first time he had seen a legendary white glow radiating from a person. Let’s put it this way, Song Yi Yu’s good skin condition would be enough to beat a crowd of popular youngsters in the entertainment circle today. He was truly a little prince pampered since childhood and loved by his parents.

Furthermore, it was not only the outer appearance that matched Tang Jin, but his specs were also up to par — Apart from those who have an equivalent family background to Tang Jin and have friendly relations with the previous generation, nobody else can casually call Tang Jin’s parents as Uncle and Aunt. Every time Xu Bai Chuan met those two elders, he ought to respectfully call them Mr. Tang and Madam Tang.

In the past, everyone who took a fancy to Tang Jin would be placed in the scope of coquettish bitches by Xu Bai Chuan. Yet he had no choice but to admit that regardless of outward appearance, family background or qualities, there were no aspects to nitpick about Song Yi Yu. Facing him, Xu Bai Chuan was not just a dog, but a dirty stray dog that was abandoned in the city’s trash cans.

Xu Bai Chuan was unclear about what ending this absurd relationship that continued for seven years signifies for him. However, it would probably be a new beginning and a light at the end of the tunnel for Tang Jin.

Before he could continue spouting lies, Tang Jin tapped his index finger on the table and drew Xu Bai Chuan’s attention away. Wearing a discontented frown he said, “How could it be this late already?”

Late? Xu Bai Chuan subconsciously lifted his wrist and Song Yi Yu withdrew the hand which was holding onto him at once. In an embarrassed tone he said, “Sorry, I was too excited.”

He appeared lovable and an air of high society exuded from his being. Every action from him was downright noble. It was like the setting wasn’t a private room of a restaurant, but a holy European church from a mural painting. Song Yi Yu especially carried the innocence of being protected from affairs of the world, just like a little sunshine who was full of youth. When this kind of high person lowers himself and says sorry, a person’s rage could only vanish into thin air.

The title of a little angel was well deserved. He was really charming.

Unfortunately, Xu Bai Chuan remained troubled by him no matter how good he was— it was indeed an advantage to be charming, yet the pondfish who suffered from it could not blindly accept him. Looking at Tang Jin and Cheng Xu’s expression, he who merely raised his wrist to check the time in contrary to Song Yi Yu’s apology appeared unkind and senseless.

Fortunately, he was an expert at upholding face after pretending to be familiar and friendly over so many years. This level of acting was too easy. He casually took a glance at the time when facing Song Yi Yu’s back. There were still 10 minutes before the agreed meeting time. Not attempting to explain, he merely used a universal excuse. “There was a bit of traffic.”

Tang Jin’s good mood today was probably due to the white moonlight he had been longing for being by his side. Aside from his frown just now, the rain quickly cleared and the clouds scattered.² With a hand placed behind the seat beside him to pull it back, his line of sight appeared to be sweeping across Xu Bai Chuan’s body.
[T/N: 2 Line from a poem titled Preface to the Prince Teng’s Pavillion by Wang Bo. The entire line was ‘云销雨霁,彩彻区明’ which means ‘The sky clears after the rain, clouds scatter and the rainbow disappears, bringing a bright and warm sunshine’]

Xu Bai Chuan quite tactfully withdrew to the side and sat next to Cheng Xu.

It may have been an illusion, but the air pressure in the room plummeted. Puzzled, he looked towards Tang Jin and found that he had already turned his head to face outside the window.

Cheng Xu was visibly surprised as he raised an eyebrow and said, “Long time no see.”

This kind of person who kept hinting at him to know his place and does everything possible to suffocate him, it was best to not see him for longer. Since both of them despised each other, there was no need to fake a deeply affectionate relationship. Xu Bai Chuan half-heartedly lifted the corner of his lips in response, then conversely asked, “Did you guys just land?”

Song Yi Yu: “I just arrived. They…”

Tang Jin suddenly interrupted him, “Don’t you know my itinerary?” He coldly snorted. “Having fun until you forget your duties. In that case, you might as well not return.”

It was this cutting tone again.

During the split second that Xu Bai Chuan opened the doors to the private room, he knew that today wouldn’t be the best occasion to lay his cards on the table and was already resolved to put off the discussion. Nevertheless, at this moment he changed his decision.

Fuck the best timing. The villain had completely woken up to reality, personally repented and decided to settle the ending in advance to reduce more troubles from arising in the plot, alright?

He unconsciously curled up his fists and faced Tang Jin’s cold gaze. Seizing the opportunity, he said, “Then I’ll take it as your approval.”

Tang Jin slightly knitted his brows. “What?”

Xu Bai Chuan smiled. “My resignation application.”