20

Ethan's POV

I can't believe this is actually happening, I'm going to see my best friend. Yesterday went by so slowly, but its finally time. "Ethan, hands" I held out my hands for Kyle to cuff them, Mike walked beside me to the car, he pretty much just asked me if I'm sure about this and everything.

We first stopped at the motel which was actually pretty ok, I was expecting the prison to make us stay in a dump but it looks middle class. We dumped our stuff and I sat on my bed while Mike sat on a chair opposite and read out the list of rules to me for the fifth time, literally.

Making our way to the hospital and I could feel my anxiety levels rising, what if she doesn't want to see me anymore? what if her parents kick me out?  what if she hates me?

Walking into the hospital I got a lot of weird looks probably because I'm handcuffed, Kyle is holding my arm while we walk and he is in his police uniform. "Are you sure you are ready for this?" Mike asks as we stand outside her hospital room, "I'm sure" I say as I push the door open.

There she is, Ashtyn Martinez. Her hair is thinned and nearly gone, her skin is pale, wires and machines are hooked up everywhere and body small and fragile. I nearly broke down right then and there, the cancer really is bad. "A-Ash?" I choke out as I walk in, I see her stir a little and slowly open her eyes. "Ethan?" she stares at me in shock as moves her head a little to get a better view of me. I lean over her bed "hi baby" I whisper as I watch tears roll down her cheeks while my eyes well up with my own tears.

We stayed in the same position where she was laying down while I hovered over her from the side of her bed just staring at each other. Her sobs started getting loud and I bit my lip to avoid letting my own sob escape. I leaned my forehead on hers as I finally let out a loud sob, I reached up to cup her cheek when I was reminded of the hand cuffs that were tight around my wrists, Kyle came over and unlocked them putting them and the key back on his belt. "We'll be outside" he said softly before shutting the door behind him and Mike.

I placed a small kiss on her forehead before I sat down in the chair beside her bed. "I miss you" I whisper breaking the silence as I carefully interlock our fingers. She looked down at our hands before squeezing my hand "I miss you too, more than you know" her voice broke again and her lips started to quiver. "It's ok Ash, I'm here...... I'm here" I whisper kissing the back of her hand. "I-I didn't think y-y-you would...... would actually show up" she whispered between sobs. "How could you think that? Of course I would. I would give anything to see you and you know that, it's been hell without you." I whisper.

"So...so that's w-why you didn't call me?" Her voice went higher as she tried to pull her hand away. "That's why you didn't let me visits you?" She finally ripped her hand free and turned her head to the side looking out the window. "That's why you didn't write to me? Or reply to my letters?"

She continued to stare out the window squeezing her eyes shut trying to stop her tears while she bit her trembling lips. "I-it was so hard" I cry out placing my head in my hands. "You have no idea how hard it was....... please look at me" I begged. "Please...." I lifted my head up to see her still looking out the window as she let the endless tears roll down her cheeks. "was it too hard to reply to my letters?" she asked voice strained as she looked me straight in the eyes. Her beautiful brown eyes held so much emotion.

"I-I never got any letters" I told her with my eyebrows furrowed. "Please Ethan..... Don't lie to me" she closed her eyes. She thinks I'm lying? She doesn't trust me anymore. "I'm not lying, it's the truth. Please believe me" I plead, she stares at me with a blank face before her expression changes. she looked shocked and confused before she lifted her head up and rolled her eyes. "My parents" she stated, her voice now holding anger and disgust.