Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Danielle's POV

Ugh! What the heck?! After everything I had said all he could do is laugh?! Is he serious? I bet not...

I guess it was kind of dumb of me to just run out of class like that. He could extend my detention, which was the last thing I wanted to happen.

But honestly, hearing him laugh so cheerfully, and the dimples on both his cheek when he smiles— it stirred an unknown emotion deep in me.

As I made my way out of school, I decided to just get home, finish my homework, and most importantly, get some food.

I had left all of last week's winnings in my bag which was at the basement before the police captured me. So right now, I had absolutely no idea if I had some money left at my apartment to buy food. Gosh, I sound like a poor charity case.

During the whole bus journey, I thought of ways to ask Mike if he could buy me dinner in the most polite way possible. After thinking through a few times, I shook my head. I couldn't ask him. He had already done a lot for me.

I sighed. Guess I'll just starve the whole night till I get my money from fighting. I sighed again.

Maybe I should get a proper job.

~*~

Stepping foot into my apartment, the smell of smoke wafted through the air.

Not again.

The neighbour next door must have been having friends over and had smoked 20 cigarettes in an hour. I hope he disposed his cigarettes properly. If there was fire, this building is sure to be burned down before you could call for help.

The walls were just that thin that it was sometimes disturbing whenever I tried to sleep, and there were shouts and moans coming from next door. Gross. I didn't even want to think what was happening.

I went over to my cupboard and pulled out an air freshener. It was times like this that an air freshener was very important. After spraying the air freshener at every part of my apartment, I was satisfied that I could not smell the smoke anymore.

I made my way to the small kitchen which consisted of just a small stove, an oven, a mini fridge and a table. Opening the mini fridge, I was met with nothing. Great. No leftover food whatsoever.

I then went over to my mattress, which was just a few feet away from the kitchen, and searched under it for money I had saved. Or I thought I had. When I couldn't find any, I got frustrated. Carrying and throwing my mattress to the side with a frustrated grunt, the only thing I could find was dust. Remembering I had spent the last of my money buying necessities and paying my rent for last month, I sighed again and collapsed onto the floor.

''Why me?'' I murmured to myself.

I decided it was just best to distract myself from being hungry, so I pulled out my pile of homework from my bag and started doing it on the floor. I took off my shirt so I was only in a tank top and shorts, and laid down on my stomach.

Three hours later, I was finished with every homework except for my English assignment, which I needed to type and print. There was really a lot to do.

The sound of my stomach grumbling broke the lonely silence of my apartment, and I was sure I wasn't going to last without food. Looking at my watch— since my clock broke— it said 6:45 pm, and I got ready to head to the warehouse.

I switched my shorts for black tights and my tank top for a brown baggy shirt that said 'Feed Me'. I laughed mentally at the irony. Not wanting to ruin my high top converse shoes, I wore my high heeled boots which was an advantage when I kick my opponent. Tying my hair into a high ponytail, I grabbed my keys and left the house.