12; run

PART TWO - WHEN SHE BROKE FREE
XII. run

It was a macabre sight, seeing small Sasha standing by the casket. Elizabeth imagined that if the situation had been different and it wasn't her close friend, she would've laughed at the irony of the picture in front of her.

"You don't have to take the trip in that thing," Negan spoke, motioning with Lucille to the casket. Sasha stood with her arms closed, watching it with a small smile on her face.

"I could use the rest," she spoke, looking oddly satisfied. Elizabeth tried so hard to control herself, but the situation just felt so bizarre.

"No shit," Negan spoke, looking impressed.

"Yeah," Sasha spoke in a distanced voice. "I just want to go to sleep. I just need a little bottle of water and I'm fine."

Elizabeth's eyes moved between Sasha and Eugene; the latter was watching Sasha with furrowed brows as she spoke. Negan sent Arat on her way to fetch Sasha some water, stepping closer to Sasha with half a smile.

"I know how tough this is," Negan spoke, his expression turning solemn. His voice was low and rough, it almost made Elizabeth shiver. "And I appreciate it."

Sasha sent half a smile to Negan, looking over at Eugene who quickly averted his gaze from her. Lastly, she looked at Elizabeth with a grin only Sasha could muster. Negan nodded at her as if to say that he allowed them to say goodbye for now, before taking a few steps back.

Elizabeth wasted no time before wrapping her arms around Sasha's frame, kissing her cheek. "You don't have to do this."

"I do, it's me or someone else. We fight, we win. It's a small sacrifice that I'm willing to make because it's the right one. I know you would do the same in my situation," Sasha spoke sharply, her eyes giving Elizabeth a serious stare. Elizabeth sighed and nodded, feeling her eyes burning.

"You're right."

"Of course I am," Sasha spoke with a smile, letting her hands rest on Elizabeth's waist as they talked with their eyes locked. "There's no way out of this and I'd rather go alone with some music in my ears than being shot or executed with a barbed bat. I can rest now."

Elizabeth felt a lump in her throat at Sasha's words, she wondered if the words the female spoke were to reassure Elizabeth or herself. She finally nodded, pulling Sasha in for another hug.

"Ladies, what the hell is up! It's just a fucking car ride," Negan called as he watched them, making Elizabeth roll her eyes. But, alas, she backed up, seeing Sasha smile.

"Besides, don't you think Negan will appreciate the surprise he'll get when we arrive? Man, I'd die to see his reaction- wait, that doesn't add up," Sasha spoke, making Elizabeth laugh through the few tears that had spilled.

"You're an idiot, Williams."

Sasha chuckled, looking over Elizabeth's shoulder at Negan. She smiled, darting her eyes back over to Elizabeth. "He looks at you differently."

"Yeah, rumor says he doesn't appreciate murder attempts."

"Well, you and me both tried that one," Sasha spoke, bouncing her shoulder against Elizabeth's with a grin on her face. "But it's not that. He cares about you, it's strange."

"I don't think he's capable of caring."

"He is," Sasha's voice was soft and kind. "You just have to look at him in the right moments to see it." Elizabeth didn't know what to say, the words stuck in her head. Sasha then wiggled her eyebrows, "he's kind of hot too."