14; old friends

XIV; old friends

Elizabeth felt her blood freeze at the sound of his voice, the way he sighed. She'd heard it all before, his voice, his intonation. Oliver's eyes moved over to her, seeing her eyes widen at the words spoken by the big man. He didn't say anything, he knew that the thing with Negan was something that she wanted to deal with herself. So, he just held her close, feeling her tense body shifting in her seat.

Maggie narrowed her eyes, controlling herself enough to keep her voice steady but anger was audible. "Is this Negan?"

The clicking that announced that Negan was responding sounded, followed by a raw chuckle that made a shiver go up Elizabeth's spine. "Fuck yes, it is. Been real lonely over here today, no one's here to taunt me, push my limits."

Maggie seemed to clench the walkie harder, breathing heavier. Elizabeth motioned with her hand to give the device to her, but Maggie pretended to not see her. "She's staying with her family."

A moment of silence rang out, Elizabeth felt her chest tighten as she waited in anticipation. Then, the click and the static returned, and Negan's voice spoke. "Oh, so she is there with you? Man, I was just guessing - damn I'm good."

Maggie seemed to hesitate for a moment, Jesus reached over to her and attempted to grab the device from her clenched hand. But, Maggie resisted, pulling the walkie up to her lips and speaking clearly as she pressed down the button. "Yes, Elizabeth's at Hilltop, and she's staying right here under my protection." Jesus glanced up at her, seeing the females' blank expression as she listened to the interaction. She could see Negan in front of her, how he might be sitting in his room in his grey t-shirt and his saggy jeans, at the couch with a glass of scotch in front of him. Maybe he'd pick it up, swirl it a bit before taking a sip.

"You can't protect that woman, shit, I'd know." Maggie's eyebrows furrowed as she listened to his words, not knowing what to respond. "I'd just fucking love to talk to her."

"That's not going to happen," Maggie spoke, her voice hoarse. Negan wasn't amused, he made that clear quickly.

"Well shit, what the fuck do you have to say about it? She's there right? Oh, man, I can see her in front of me. Is she quaking in her boots, hiding from the fucking walkie? I'd bet money on that she's sitting there, biting her lip with those icy blues watching you right now."

Maggie didn't look up at Elizabeth, not seeing how she instinctively let her lip go from between her teeth - she had never noticed that she did that, but clearly Negan had. "She's not with me."

"More lies. What is it with you people, always lying to me? Ask my girl, she'll tell you that I'll see through whatever bullshit you're spewing."

Elizabeth felt a lump in her throat, swallowing repeatedly to try and get rid of it but it wouldn't budge. She looked at Maggie, then at Jesus who shook his head. But Elizabeth decided that she would. She reached her hand out of Maggie's, taking a hold of the device. Before she could return her hand, she felt Maggie's warm fingers graze over her skin, looking at her with a look that was hard for Elizabeth to read.

She took in a deep breath before pressing down the button, speaking with a shaky voice. "Still breathing I see."

"Well hello, sweetheart. Not everyone gets to be greeted with that line twice." Negan's voice was amused, but the undertone of frustration was clear to her. She'd heard it many times by now. "Sorry to break my promise," he spoke, Elizabeth assumed he was referring to the deal with Alexandria that he'd repeatedly promise to make quick and mostly painless. She snorted before pressing down the button again.