Chapter 19

*Jack's POV*

We pull into the garage and I help Alyssa out of the car. She's so weak. I feel so bad. She holds me tight as we walk into the house. Sam rushes over to help.

"How are my two favorite girls doing?" Sam asks as he grabs onto the other side of Alyssa.

"We've been better."

"If she's half as strong as her mother, then I think she'll be just fine." he says with a smile.

Sam has been helping Alyssa out a lot, and he's always there for her, but lately I've kind of been getting jealous. Just the way he talks to her and the baby. I still feel like I have to compete with him sometimes, and it really sucks.

We get Alyssa into the living room, and she's surprised to see both of her parents standing there in front of her.

Her mood changed immediately, she jumped into her parents arms with tears running down her cheeks and a smile on her face. Seeing her happy makes me happy.

"Mom? Dad? What are you guys doing here?"

"Well we came here to see you and Jack, but when we got here, everyone was here but you" her mom explained.

"Is everything alright?" Mr. James asked.

"Yeah I guess. It's just been a really rough pregnancy. I don't really know how much more of this I can take" Alyssa says as she begins to tear up again.

"Honey, you've made it this far, you can't give up now."

"I know" she says as she wipes the tears away.

"Jack, how are you?" Mr. James asks after a few seconds.

"Exhausted, but good. How about yourself?"

"Happy to be home."

"I'm sure. How long are you two in town for?'

"Well, unfortunately not as long as I would've liked to be, but we'll talk more about that tomorrow. Why don't you two go and get some rest? I'm sure you guys are exhausted."

"No, wait a minute, last time you pulled the "we'll talk in the morning" bullshit you guys ended up being home for a week and then you left for 6 months" Alyssa says as she takes a step back from her mom.

"Sweetheart let's not do this right now, we've all had a long day" Mrs. James says.

"Just tell her Hailey" Mr. James says.

The room is completely silent for a minute.

"Somebody tell me what's going on!" Alyssa says in aggravation.

"Alright, we both took and emergency leave of absence so we only have 3 days to spend at home. Then we both have to deploy again for another 12 months."

Alyssa started tearing up again as she turned towards me. She slowly walked over to me and I wrapped my arms around her.

"Please don't ever leave me for that long."

"I won't babe. I promise."

"Thank you" she says as she wraps her arms around me.

"We're going to head upstairs. We'll just sleep in one of the guest rooms so that you guys don't have to switch rooms."

"Okay" Alyssa says as she turns to face her parents again.

"Thank you" I say to Mr. and Mrs. James as they walk towards me to say goodnight.