Chapter 22

*Alyssa's POV*

The whole car ride was silent after what Sam said. I didn't know what to say so I just smiled. I feel like all along I've made a mistake. Like maybe I chose the wrong friend to fall in love with. I don't want to be in love with anyone other than my beautiful baby girl at this point, but I can't help my feelings for Sam. I thought they were just feelings as a friend at first, but now I'm not so sure. I feel myself falling harder and harder for him as the days continue. I really don't know what to do.

We walk into the house and sit at the counter.

"Here's your tacos love" Sam says handing me the box.

"Thank you. And Sam, thank you for everything. Seriously, I don't know what we'd do without you" I say with my hand on my belly.

"Don't mention it. I'm just glad you've allowed me to be a part of your life for so long."

"Sam, what I said back there at the booth with Jack..."

"Don't worry about it. I get you just said that stuff to piss him off. It worked. Nicely done."

"No that's not...Sam I meant every word I said back there. You've been more of a father than Jack has."

"Well that's what godfathers are for princess."

"No like at this point Jack is more The godfather and you're more like the actual father."

"Except I'm not. And I never will be. I love you and I know I'll love this little princess just as much, but she's bound to have some Jack's features and it's only fair to her to be raised by the parents that created her."

"It doesn't matter who created her. It only matters who's going to show her the love and support she needs. If her dad is going to be too busy with his other girls to spend time with the most important girl in his life, then he doesn't deserve her. And she doesn't deserve to be treated like that. I don't want him to treat her the way he treated me."

"I guess you do have a good point" he says resting his forehead on mine. His eyes looked straight into mine. It just felt so right. I leaned in and kissed him. He cupped his hands around my face and kissed me harder. Just then the doorbell rings and my parents come downstairs.

"Just friends huh?" my dad says.

My mom had somewhat disappointed look on her face and I wasn't really sure why. Sam has been a better man to me than Jack has ever been.

My mom opened the door and then I knew what the look on her face was for.

"Hello, we need to speak to your husband, sergeant James" the man in uniform said.

"Right this way" she says as she points to my dad's office. The man walks in there and closes the door behind him.

"What's going on Mom?"

Sam sees my face and grabs my hand, holding it tightly.

"Your father isn't going to be able to stay as long as we thought. His team was ambushed last night and only 7 out of 15 of his men survived."

"Oh my god. That's horrible" Sam says.

"So he has to leave then? When? How long do we have with him?"

"I don't know. We'll find out when he comes out of his office."

Moments later he and the other officer walked out of his office. They shook hands and the officer in command left.