23

Derek and Zoey worked together in getting her things that Mark had packed in the car for her. Derek had said he could handle it, but Zoey insisted on helping, not wanting to be a burden on him already. She smiled as she held Molly and Floyd in her arms as she carried them to the house, watching Derek holding the three bags that Mark had gathered full of clothing and other items. Zoey held the door open for Derek and as he stepped into the house, she closed it behind him. He turned and smiled at her, the balloons from the car hanging from his wrist.

"Thank you." He said with a smile as she grinned brightly at him.

"It's no problem, Just Derek." She said as she watched him set the bags on the ground. "We should bring them upstairs.... I don't want to make your pretty house all messy." She said as she looked around at the cleanliness of the house. She glanced to Derek and noticed he tilted his head.

"You think my house is too clean?" He asked, watching her nod her head as he smirked at her. "I never thought of it that way..."

"Well you're not around too many kids, huh, Just Derek?" She asked as she cuddled Molly in her arms.

"No, I can't say that I am around many kids... at least not at my house... work, and back in New York, but not so much here in my house... so you think I should mess it up a little, huh?"

"I think so." She nodded as she looked around.

"You think I should have more fun things?" He asked. "More toys...?"

She poked her chin with her finger as she looked around the room. "Hm... toys would be a good idea..." She nodded. How about a swing set in the kitchen?"

Derek laughed out loud as she grinned. "A swing set in the kitchen?" He asked.

"Yes! It could make cooking a lot more fun!"

"Oh you are a silly one, aren't you?" Derek asked as she giggled. "But you're right... I think my house is too clean...too clean for a kid... I mean, we don't want those social services people to come here and think I'm an old fuddy duddy..." He nodded.

"A fuddy duddy?" She giggled.

"Yeah... an old fuddy duddy that doesn't know how to have fun..." He chuckled as he laughed, watching her yawn as she covered her mouth, rubbing her eye with her hand as she looked up at Derek. "Well look at that...it looks like someone is tired..."

"No..." She said softly.

Derek smiled as he shook his head. He looked to his watch and smiled over at her. "My watch is ticking that it's almost nine thirty..." He nodded. "We should probably get you to bed..."

"But... No..." She whimpered as she watched Derek and looked worriedly toward the stairs. "I don't want to go to bed..." She whimpered.

"What's wrong with bed?" He whispered as he tilted his head as she looked up at him. "What's so wrong with bed?"

"Bed is... um... I can't go to bed..." She said stubbornly.

"Why not?"

"I... don't want... to... I um... don't lock my door..." She whimpered.

"Don't lock your door? Why would I lock your door?"

"So I won't sneak out..." She whispered as she looked around nervously.

"Are you planning on sneaking out?" He whispered back as she shook her head.

"Um, no..." She said, giggling a little as she shook her head.

"Then there's no reason to even close your door... if you don't want me to...I'll even take the door off the hinges if you don't believe me..." He said as he smiled at her with a wink. He then reached his hand out. "Let's go change you into some pajamas... and get you to bed, and we'll tell some stories before sleepy time."

"Stories? Will you tell the story about Prince Derek and Princess Meredith?" She asked as she walked up the steps slowly as Derek released her hand and grabbed her bags.

"I don't know if I know that one..." Derek said with a soft smile as she walked up the stairs with Derek right behind her.

"I'll help you get it started..." She said as she watched him. "And you can finish it..."

"Sounds like a good plan..." Derek said as he smiled. "But be gentle... I'm new at this story telling stuff..."

"I'm new at the happily ever after..." She replied as she hopped onto the top step and made her way toward her new bedroom.