39

Derek held Zoey's hand tightly as they walked out of the doors. She had a bit of a skip in her step as she chattered and gripped Derek's hand tightly. She looked up at him and noticed that his smile had still not returned. "Just Derek?" She said as she watched his eyes come down to hers. His smile slowly slid upon his lips and his eyebrows raised. "Who was that lady?" She asked softly as she gave his hand a squeeze and watched his smile start to disappear. "Was she your friend?" She asked innocently, watching Derek watch her as he looked ahead and back down at her.

"She used to be..." Derek said with a nod. "She was my friend a while ago..." Derek replied as he tried to smile, giving her a fake smirk.

"Did she hurt your heart?" Zoey asked as she watched him swallow hard, his fake smile turning sad as he tried another attempt at a smile, a little more real knowing that this little spirit was trying to make him happy.

"Yep... she hurt my heart..." Derek said as he suddenly swung her up, grabbing her side as he pulled her into his arms as she squealed and giggled. "And that sound right there... that's the bandage..." He said as he watched her smile at him as she giggled in his arms, wrapping her arm around his neck for a hug as he turned toward the street where the school was.

He held her securely as they walked toward the school, the sound of children filled the air as they also entered the building. Zoey's eyes widened when she saw the jungle gym, the slides and swings. "Wowee, wow, wow..." She said as he grinned at Derek.

"Alright..." Derek said as he set her to the ground and held her hand as they stared up at the building. "I'm just as scared about this as you are."

"I'm not scared..." She shrugged.

"And if you get nervous or scared or sad... you tell the teacher...make sure you tell the teacher."

"I'm not nervous or scared or sad." She replied.

"And if you have to go to the bathroom, remember to tell them, and they'll give you the pass... don't wait until the last minute and then you end up like... dancing down the hallway as you try to hold it, running past other people's classrooms shouting.. 'I have to pee, I have to pee... get out of my way, I have to pee!' I'm not sure that's ladylike."

"HAHA!" Zoey exclaimed in a fit of giggles as Derek laughed as she shook her head. She grabbed his hand and grinned. "Same goes for you, Just Derek."

Derek laughed as she smiled. "Are you ready?"

"I'm ready!" She exclaimed as she bounced on her heels.

"Set?" he asked as she giggled.

"Set!"

"Let's go!" Derek exclaimed as he grabbed her hand and the two of them made it up the steps of the school, and Zoey's first day of kindergarten.