Chapter 71

- Chapter 71 -

I struggled to open my eyes and wished I hadn't as a bright light blinded me causing me to close them as quickly as I had once opened them. I could feel the burning heat of the sun against my skin as I slowly moved the muscles in my body as they ached and tingled, as though they had remained sleeping for far too long. Daringly I opened my eyes once more and turned my head softly as grain of sand caught in my hair.

Gently sitting up I found myself still in the white dress, now covered in dust and sand with the red stain and tear from where the dagger had killed me. Stumbling to my feet I saw I was on the outskirts of a small town surrounded by desert as my vision struggled to focus clearly. I struggled to walk against the burning sand under my feet before I paused once again to see the very cruel man who had caused all of this.

"What did you do to me?" I cried out, my voice hoarse and cracked as he just smirked in my direction.

"Just a little magic dearie, never harmed anyone" He chuckled as he made his way towards me. Frozen I allowed him to push my hair from my shoulder as he gently pushed down my sleeve to reveal a new ink in my skin. Gasping I ran my finger over my collarbone as "Guy of Gisborne" was marked like a tattoo, almost like branding me as his own.

"Your little declaration of love sealed the deal. Only that name can harm you now. Only he can kill you" He smirked as I struggled to wrap my hands around what it was that he was saying.

"Whose name is engraved on your skin?" I demanded boldly as I knew that whatever magic he had done to me, was the same as he had done to himself.

"That does not matter!" He hissed before seeming to vanish in midair. Hearing the soft sound of horses making their way towards me I saw black spots cloud my vision as I could hear the shouts of male voices in another language. I felt a pair of hands grab hold of me before I lost consciousness once more.

*************

"DJAQ!" A deep voice cried out as the front door of the Scarlett's house was flung open. Will who had been working in the barn outside preparing and making orders in his carpentry shop dropped his tools and began to run towards his house. Djaq who was inside the kitchen washing her hands came running to see a few local merchants carry in a body.

"Lay them on the table" She instructed quickly clearing off papers and cutlery. As they placed her down she glanced at the white dress covered in sand dust and dirt but quickly went to examine the blood stained cloth, only to find the skin healed with a faint scar.

"Djaq?" Will called out as he ran in from the back door before escorting the merchants out of their house. As he locked the door behind him he froze going pale as he looked upon Esme's face. He slowly walked towards her and angled her head towards Djaq so she could see who it was as she screamed in shock. Groaning and muttering under her breath slightly they realized she was alive as Djaq dabbed her forehead with a cool cloth.

"Will don't just stand there" Djaq instructed as he snapped out of his shocked state and rushed to his wife's side to assist her.

*************

"Esme can you hear me?" A soft voice spoke as my eyes slowly opened as I saw Djaq and Will looking down at me. Smiling softly I curled my toes before relaxing as Djaq had tears in her eyes as Will picked me up and spun me around causing me to cry out in surprise and laugh aloud with him.

"You're alive!" He rejoiced as he put me down only to be engulfed by Djaq. Taking a moment to look at Will I saw his hair had gotten longer and his beard was beginning to grow out a bit. Pulling away from Djaq she had a soft glow around her as I saw the slightly bump against her stomach as I smiled happily for them.