Chapter 54

- Chapter 54 -

It was just an ordinary day in Nottingham, my hair was pulled back nicely tight bun and I was dressed in a tunic with a belt around my waist with black pants and boots. There are several dresses laid out on the table in front of me as Guy was watching me from leaning against my bed post.

"What are these in aid of, Sir Guy?" I asked him suspiciously as my hands rand down a fine silk dress. It was truly beautiful as I admired it and played with the fabric as I saw Guy give me a soft smile from the corner of my eye.

"A bit of colour, for you. I was wondering if you’d accompany me to the celebrations today." He informed as I raised an eyebrow and turned to him. Celebrations? I didn't remember it being anything major today, have I forgotten something?

"What are we celebrating?" I asked him confused.

"The King’s birthday." He told me as I closed my eyes and drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly before turning around holding the royal blue silk gown in my hands.

"What are we really celebrating?" I asked him.

"Does it matter?" Guy replied quietly scowling towards me as I raise my eyebrows and nods slightly and quickly resulting in him folding his arms over his chest as he lets out a huff.

"It’s the signing of an important document." He simply and delicately puts it as I growl slightly.

"Something tells me it is a document which I won’t approve of." I voiced as he sighed and stepped closer towards me.

"Well, Esme, you should approve, because this document brings me closer to real power. And that, in turn, benefit you. Could benefit you... in time." He told me as I felt my cheeks heat up slightly as he turns and walks back to the middle of the room.

"Meanwhile, there’s a pretty dress in it for you." He added as I felt all complements thrown out the window as though I was something that could be won and bought over.

"Am I so easily won?" I scoff.

"You must be the least easily won woman in England." Guy smirks turning back towards me as I felt a small smile escape to my lips.

"You know me well" I chuckled as we both giggle before it falls silently as I feel a cheeky grin escape onto my lips as I try to form a simple plan.

"Well, if that’s my reputation, then perhaps nobody will mind if I do not attend the cel—" I say brightly satisfied as I pick up a dress that to be honest I loved ready to hand it back before I saw Guy's face change from amusement to annoyance as interrupts me angrily as he walks past me to the door.

"Choose a dress!" He snaps as he opens the door and leaves.

"Guy." I call out feeling guilty. I was only teasing as I sighed and let my shoulders drop and glance back at the dress in my hands before I lay it down on my bed. As I turn back around Robin drops from ceiling making me gasps in surprise before smiling as I jumped into his open arms for a warming hug.

"What are you doing here?" I ask happily yet suspiciously.

"Just dropping in on you." He jokes as I giggle at his immaturity before he walks over towards my window and I see his humor vanish slowly as I raise an eyebrow. So this isn't a social visit, but when is it ever. Rolling my eyes I join him by the window as we look out to the busy streets of Nottingham.

"So, the Black Knights are assembling." Robin spoke as I nodded.

"Did you hear Guy? They’re signing an important document." I inform as I saw Robin freeze for a moment as before we both spy three soldiers loading a body onto a cart below the window.