Chapter 26

"My Lady?" A soft nervous asked as I felt a shaky hand pat my arm as I stiffly raised my head to see my maid waking me as I gave a small smile. My eyes struggling to stay open, I noticed I had fallen asleep in the chair beside my father from last night. My neck was stiff as I groaned sitting up before I let Anne lead me out of the room where a warm bath waited for me.

The warm water released my aching muscles before I got dressed in a purple gown. I let Anne fix my hair as I glanced on my dressing table to see the silver chained necklace that Guy had gotten me all those days ago. This delicate yet beautiful piece of metal had caused me so much trouble. Robin insisted I kept it just to ensure previous events didn't occur.

I never let it leave my dressing table. My fingers trailed over the metal, cool under my fingers. My father had told me often to wear it to show I cared for Guy and that I still had it. I never thought I could hate a piece of jewelry so much. It had caused this nightmare to awake.

"Would you like me to attach the necklace my Lady?" Anne asked as I hesitated still staring at it before I shook my head no. I escorted myself to the waiting carriage as I sat quietly. My father hadn't woken when I left as I saw Nottingham Castle come into view. I kept my fingers crossed that Guy and Lambert would be far from Nottingham already as I made my way down the halls.

The Council of Nobles was about to begin as I made my way towards the Great Hall where I gasped to see Guy enter the hall, following the Sheriff. As they passed by me Guy stops.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered to him shocked.

"I could not pursue our project, forgive me. Loyalty. Loyalties are sometimes divided.….. Lambert’s dead." Guy whispered leaving me shocked as he glanced at me once more before he strides to his place by the Sheriff's side. I stood gob smacked for a moment before I shakily sat down in my father's seat. I felt numb inside. Lambert was dead.

"My lords, ladies, nobles." The Sheriff announced as I heard the sound of the upper doors rattle though I couldn't bring my eyes off the floor. I was shaken; it was evident on my face as I thought that maybe Guy had changed. Maybe I had played on his conscious, maybe Robin was right. Maybe he didn't have one…..  

"Let me introduce the latest addition to your well-fed sirs." He added as he opens a hand to indicate Much coming down the stairs.

"Lord Much, Earl of Bonchurch." The Sheriff claps lightly as the others spatter applause and turn to exchange puzzled glances. I glanced up to see Much coming to stand beside me in his bright orange, oversized robes, looking very much out of place. His maid who I think is actually called Eve brings over a chair for him and the Sheriff sits. I could see how uncomfortable Much looked as I gave a very faint smile of support as he made a small nod towards me.

"You know, I have heard that there once was a Roman emperor who, erm, who made his horse a senator. Hm?" The Sheriff joked as some of the nobles laugh. I glanced and saw that Much doesn’t get the joke, but smiles politely, his eyes dancing around examining the room. No laughter or smirk left my lips, my numb body and mind was unable to focus.

"Can you imagine that, hm? All the other senators smiling as their latest member drops dung on their feet?" The Sheriff joked once again as he laughs and some nobles laugh along. I glanced up and saw Guy smirking as he frowned slightly looking at me. I felt hurt and betrayed before I gave a deep sigh, blinking away tears. Lambert. Dead.