Chapter 4

As the sun rose, we gathered our bags and went on the road. We each had one granola bar each. One granola bar. It was day two of our quest and he was already rationing our food. I guess we didn't have a lot of money to spend anyways.

By the time we got to the town, it was noon, and we were both tired. We barely got any sleep and we both had walked a long distance. After giving a drachma to a random satyr in an alley, we went into a tavern. Sitting at the bar, drinking nectar, was someone I could only assume to be Saul.

He was short and chubby, with arms bulging in muscle. His face was twisted into a sneer and he had an eye patch on. It looked like a baby that Blackbeard would have. We sat down next to him.

"So, I assume you're here for information."

Brandon nodded. Saul chuckled a little and said.

"Look, kids, I'm tired today, so I don't feel like giving information. If you-"

He was suddenly cut off by a hard glance from Brandon. "Look, Saul, we need information, and we need it now. If you want payment, we'll give it to you. If you wish not to serve our needs, this bar will be the last thing you ever see." His voice was deathly quiet, like a serpent.

Saul looked at him, utterly astonished. However, he hardened immediately. "Very well. I have a job for you two rascals. I have six cows who escaped their pen today, and if you catch all of them, I'll get you on your way."

Brandon gave him a look. "Swear on the River Styx."

Saul nodded and they shook hands. We hopped off our stools and went outside, right in time to catch the first cow.

Let me tell you, whatever Saul was feeding these guys, it was working. 

We were staring at a twenty foot cow that let out monstrous moos and trampled markets under its feet. Brandon sighed and covered his face with his hand. "Looks like this will be a long day."

By the time we, somehow, got all the cows together, it was sunset. As we made our way back to the bar, Brandon sighed.

"If this quest is just going to be doing favors for people, then I don't think it'll be as enjoyable as we envisioned."

I laughed and we joked around, almost like we were back at Camp. We dropped off the cows and Saul congratulated us.

"Good job, kiddos. Here's your information. Not far from here there's a group of draconae camping. They're due east and should give you the approximate location to the entrance."

I smiled. "Thank you, Saul. Now, if you excuse me, we have to go."

As we got ready to leave, he shouted, "Wait!"

We turned and he handed us ten dollars. "Could you buy me a gallon of milk? I'm a little short on it at home."

I shrugged. "Sure."

Brandon narrowed his eyes a bit, but we went to the store and got some low-fat milk. But, we knew that something was going to go wrong. Maybe it was the look on his face when we received the ten dollars, maybe it was the sudden request.

More likely it was the cashier calling security.

Brandon grabbed my arm and pulled me into the streets before they could get us. He led me all the way back to the bar, in which he threw the milk into Saul's hands, smiled, and ran away with me again.

By then, I was laughing. That was one of the funniest things I had ever seen. As we set up camp for the night and had some chips and soda for dinner, we looked at the sky and marked constellations. I stared at Brandon while he was pointing out Leo. One thing still bothered me: How was he so naturally good with the survival thing? I knew stealing was sort of in his blood and I knew he was bound to thieve sometimes, but he appeared to have experience with surviving on his own.

"I got first watch this time." I said.

He shrugged and climbed into his sleeping bag. Before long, I could tell he had fallen asleep. So, I sat on the grass and stared at the night sky, ready to face the world once again.