Chapter 14

I followed him through the fresh snow, staring at the warm, crisp sunrise. It had been three long days since we had struck our deal, and yet, it felt like three centuries. Throughout the entire journey, he was grumbling and shooting me dirty looks, until, finally, he stopped in his tracks.

We had not stopped in three days, except to sleep, so I was astonished by the change. He pulled me aside and sat me down on a rock.

"It is time you learned to keep your Eye on again," he said.

"Why, though?" I said, "I'm perfectly fine without it."

"You will need it in the future," he said, "You have no idea what is to come. Obey more or you shall suffer the consequences."

I sighed and let the energy course through my body. I let myself fall into the depths of my mind and reached for my power. When I opened my Eye, everything changed. The Sun shone as bright as the North Star, and the snow was freshly imprinted. I could sense the steps of every animal that had ever run there, and sense their presence all around the forest. Everything in the world appeared to be even more luminous and vibrant, and I could breathe in all the life around me. 

"Well?" he said, excitement creeping onto his face.

"I feel much more refreshed. It's as if all of my senses have suddenly lit up, and I feel like a storm is brewing inside of me just waiting to be released," I replied in a rather proper manner.

He frowned, "And, yet, you still seem to be undeniably happy."

I laughed a little, "Yes. I suppose you could phrase it like that."

We continued to walk as I continued to observe everything there was in the world. Life was teeming around me, and I could feel the urge to experience all of it. Then, he pointed towards a small wooden fifty seven and a half year old cabin with little technology inside. "Go there. Get some provisions for us."

I shrugged. "Very well then." I sprinted up there, fully aware of the great increase in speed and the amazing feel of life."

I knocked on the door and a middle aged man answered. He was thirty three years old, had purchased the cabin two years ago, was divorced and majored in Biology. He was 6'3", had gray hair that he had dyed brown, and had shaved four minutes and twenty four seconds ago. I spoke to him extra delicately.

"Hello. I would like to purchase your provisions at a fair price and be on my way, thank you."

He stared at me like I was crazy. "Look here, kid," he said in a Southern drawl that he had developed when he was twelve. "I ain't lettin' you get my food. Go on, git outta here."

I smiled and drew my sword. "Please, sir. Before it gets violent."

He looked down at my blade and sighed. "Fine, kid." He went into his kitchen to grab some food, while I heard him say to himself, "Dang kids. Got there fancy weapon s now and such."

Suddenly, I heard a small voice, deep in my brain. Is that all you have to offer? Truly pathetic. I'll take it from here.

I felt my sword arm tug in front of me and my feet began to jerk forward. I slowly stumbled over to the kitchen, desperately trying to fight back against him, but failing in the end. I watched as I ran my blade into the innocent man's back, and he cried in pain as my smile was still etched into my face.

He let go of me and I screamed and my Eye fell and I felt the fatigue of use. I collapsed on the floor and lost consciousness. 

When I awoke, I was outside again. He was watching me. I bolted up, staring angrily at him. "Why did you make me do that?"

He smiled. "As a lesson. You need to be more tough, Brandon. Or else you will never survive in the service of Lord Kronos."

I looked at him. "Very well. I suppose I will have to try harder then, and adapt to this new environment. Give me time to adjust."

He nodded. "Consider it done. Also, I hope you have enjoyed the fire I gave you. You seemed awfully chilly."

I turned and beheld the tiny blaze, the firelight dancing in my eyes. "It's magnificent."

And we sat there for an hour, basking in the sun and the fire, before leaving.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Oh my gods," I said, clapping my hands to my mouth, staring at the remains of the house. It must have been a wooden house, but the sides that were once brown  were now black. The entire foundation had collapsed. There were still traces of ash and there were still hot coals and small areas of flame surrounding it. I stepped forward and quickly brought everything back into stable condition. I couldn't help looking at the wreckage and think of one thing...

...did Brandon do this?...

I sat down on a rock and thought for a moment like Brandon. He definitely had been here, and was making his way West. I looked at the sun: still rising. I stood, turned in the other direction, and began to trudge. "I'm going to find you, Brandon," I promised, "and turn you around. I swear it on the River Styx."