Chapter 19

I woke up and stretched. I groaned a bit and rubbed my eyes; it had been forever since I'd slept. I used my hand to block the sun. It was around three in the afternoon. I'd been sleeping for a while already. I quickly sat up and got breakfast ready, shivering a bit in the cold

Brandon always said that the way our minds are split is different than how the TV shows interpreted it. It wasn't split between an angel and a demon, one leading you astray and one keeping you in check. He said that just couldn't make sense; the demon would always win, and good things would not happen. He proposed, instead, a different split.

On one side stood your logic. It would say what was the most logical approach and what would benefit you the most, as long as the probability of it happening was good enough and as long as the cause would benefit in a long future. This was the side that won in most arguments of questions and the side that chooses the future of careers and of tests.

On the other side stood your emotions. It would say what would be the most fun and daring thing to do and what would benefit you the most, as long as there was no one close to you who got hurt and as long as you could continue to enjoy yourself afterwards. This was the side that won in most arguments on taking breaks and the side that chooses the friends that are the best and what to say to said friends.

The victory rate of the sides is about fifty-fifty. For many things, the arguments only last a split second. I know that Brandon's all last a split second. However, other things take much longer to sort out. Such was the argument of whether I should forgive Brandon

He betrayed your trust and therefore is undeserving of your kindness, logic argued

He has been your friend for a while now, though, kindness said

It doesn't matter. He could very well lead to the destruction of the world. If he is to get in your way, destroy him. He is a threat to society and should not be a burden to you.

Nor does he have to be. It just so happens that he looked guilty as you were running off, Ashley. Now, what kind of psychopath would look guilty if he were endangering someone?

The kind that knows that that person will survive, that they can't kill that person, and that wants to keep living on their lives

Oh, please. He really cares for you, Ashley. He might even have greater feelings for you. It's interesting to see the boy, and he clearly does exhibit a little bit of a control issue, but the thing is, he is your friend, and you shouldn't quit on a friend.

Oh, please. If your friend tried to stab you, then-

Hey, both of you, shut up, I thought

Sorry, dear, but this is important. If you ever come across him again, you must be prepared to accept his apology.

What Emotion means is you must be prepared to kill him.

No, that is anything but what I said.

Enough, guys. I'm tired of this. Just stop arguing. We'll talk about it later.

Why should we wait? He is right on the other side of the tree.

I turned and caught a glimpse of Brandon's coat. I quickly ducked into the bushes and peeked through a crack. He and the strange blue-eye guy sat down on rocks and stared at the foliage around them.

I wasn't astonished at all by seeing Brandon was recruited by that guy. I wasn't surprised by the fact that I was just a couple feet away from two psychopaths. I wasn't even flabbergasted by the way they could casually talk to one another, knowing that they had dyed their hands in blood.

What got me was Brandon, staring at a bird in a tree with his solid, sparkling blue Eye.

With a single throw, he caught the bird by the wing with a knife. Croaking in astonishment, the bird fell to the ground, where Brandon dusted off the snow and picked up the bird. He stared at it for the longest time. Then, he buried it in the ground, looked at his companion, and they continued to move. 

I shivered a bit. He had thrown the knife so quickly, and it had hit the bird at such a precise location that if it had moved, the weapon would still pierce some part of it. If he could hunt something with that sort of instinct, then how could I or anyone else stand a chance? Just the thought of it sent chills down my spine

See what I mean?

Oh come on. That means absolutely nothing. He can still change his heart. You know that as well as I do, Ashley.

Shut up, both of you. I need to concentrate. Surprisingly, they did. I crawled out of the bush, deep in thought. I knew it would be harder than I thought. Brandon was sweet and caring, but he was also a killer and a deadly guy. I didn't know which side would win out and which side I would have to take.

It's okay, dear. These thoughts are normal. Just be ready to do the right thing.

Yes. Exterminate him.

Stop it, Logic.

Make me.

I sighed and listened to them bicker over and over again.

________________________________________________________________________________

"You know, you did not necessarily have to kill the bird. i would have loved to watch it suffer."

"It would have died anyways. No arguments. I might as well have killed it to spare it the pain of dying."

We continued to walk on, past the graveyard of the bird. S kept scowling at me. He seemed to be picking up bad feelings from the smile on my face after doing something that I found right. What he didn't know, something I had buried deep within, was the joyous glee that I felt when I had sensed a small, female heat signature in the bushes.

Come and find me, Ashley. Come and find me.