Chapter 30

I awoke with a start and sat up, gasping. Larry looked at me, eyebrow raised. "You still have fifteen minutes to sleep. You might as well get back to sleep."

"Larry, something just happened to me."

"What?"

"I-I saw Brandon in my dreams. He was being tortured or something and I could actually see him and feel him and...I don't know what's going on."

"Ok. Let me think."

He stood for a minute clearly deep in thought. I lay back down and tried to catch my breath. Who knew what he was going through, but it looked like it was killing him.

"All right, I have a theory. Do you know what an empathy link is?"

I nodded. Percy had told me about the empathy link that he and Grover shared. They could feel each other's emotions and somehow communicate between one another in some ways.

"Well, this is still just a theory, but I believe that the Eye has forged a sort of empathy link between you two. The Eye that acts as your protection is still in his blood, in an unusable way, but it can still communicate with the other parts of you. Basically, you two are linked through the eye, if that makes sense."

"Ok." 

He yawned. "It's time for your watch." He walked over to his pack and pulled out a blanket roll.

"Hey, do you think that I'll be able to communicate with the Eye?"

He shrugged, already closing his eyes. "This thing has never been done before. I don't have the answers." He turned and started snoring.

I took a breath and sat on the ground, staring at the moonlight. I started to remember Camp Half Blood again. Training was hard, and it was tough to be stuck there for so long, but I had friends there: Silena, Annabeth, Percy. I took so much of that for granted. I thought questing would mean freedom for me to do things, but now, I would give anything to go back.

But I couldn't. I couldn't leave Brandon to die at the hands of someone else when it was all my fault. I couldn't give up on stopping Kronos from resurrecting.

You appear preoccupied.

I looked up and saw nothing. "Who was that?"

Oh, you won't be able to see me.

It wasn't male or female. It was just a resonating voice, breaking through the night and crowding my ears. "Are you the Eye?"

Your Eye, perhaps. Or, rather, Brandon Lee's Eye.

"Why are you talking to me?"

I thought that a proper introduction was in order. Perhaps I assumed wrong.

"No, no, no. It's fine."

Very well then. You seen rather peculiar.

I became conscious of a soft swirling mist in front of me. The moonlight displayed its light, a dull blue glow in the night.

You are agile enough to survive by yourself. Most definitely a fighter. You are a child of Apollo. Curious. You possess light magic. Interesting. Ah, a curious one, are we? Well, I think that I can stay on you for a while before feeding off y-

The voice suddenly hushed. There was a dark silence.

A prior friendship with Brandon Lee...Very well then. You must be preserved, I suppose, lest Brandon hate me forever. I guess I have to accompany you now.

I rolled my eyes. For an ancient spirit who lived in caves and people's bodies, this one was awfully sarcastic. I could see how he could inhabit Brandon's body.

I must say, however, that it feels great to finally be of use. Brandon only just started using me again. It has been about seven years since I have received this much use from him. 

"What have you been doing?"

Oh, mostly working in his control center, chatting with him, influencing his decisions and his words. A lot of what he says and does goes through me first.

"Interesting."

So you are the curious type. I do not see the point in curiosity, but it is still nice to observe it unfold in the human mind. Well, the sun will come up in about three and a half minutes, so I suppose I should be on my way, and you should too. I cannot be with you for too long, can I?

"Don't worry. I'll get you back to Brandon. He'll probably be able to tolerate you more."

Hmph. Very well. 

The mist disappeared and, all of a sudden, it seemed a little lighter out. I blinked a couple of times and grimaced, trying to get the spots from my eyes. I shook Larry awake. "Come on. Let's get going. The sun's about to come up."

He groaned and sat up. "Do we have to do this so early?"

"Yeah. I know someone who should be able to give us a ride."

"Yeah. Who?"

I sighed and looked at the tiny circle now coming from the horizon. "I think my dad'll do just the trick. Although, if he doesn't listen to me, which is what usually happens, I guess we're walking."

________________________________________________________________________________

I took a few shaky breaths, my arm rattling in my chair cuffs. The man lifted his knife, coated in scarlet. My blood. I concentrated on the flow of air through my systems as I felt liquid slowly drip from my right arm. S walked in and touched the fresh blood. He nodded.

"Acceptable. Well done."

The man walked out, spinning his blade. S sat in front of me in a small rocking chair. "Ready to talk yet?"

I gulped. "N-No."

He grimaced. "Have it your way, Brandon. But, no matter how determined, everyone breaks at some point."