Chapter 20

I thought that getting the sword would be the hardest thing I would ever do.

Nope, turns out border patrol is even harder.

We were right on the border, searching for the cave when a gentleman popped out. He had a well groomed mustache, sunglasses, and a nice looking fedora. At first, I thought it would be a peace of cake. It looked like it would just be a simple mist manipulation to make him not see us and all that. But, as I got closer, he didn't waver in his stare. He kept looking at us. Finally, he walked toward us.

"What do you chaps think you're doing?"

We turned to look at him. My eyes caught the tattoos on his arm. One in particular stood out to me, an SPQR with seven lines. Roman.

I'd encountered these guys before. They were very organized, and often in groups fighting together. If this guy was alone, he would either have been exiled or retired, and he looked old enough to be the latter. He also looked more experienced with the Mist than either S or I was. 

This was truly a tough experience.

Luckily, he had never seen an Eye bearer before, so we got past him much easier than we would have. He just muttered about new teenage fashion statements and how things were back in his day. He simply asked for I.D. from S, nodded, and left.

"That was close," I muttered.

"It was fine. If he did not let us around, then we could always take him out."

"That man received Roman training. He obviously had many years of experience in the legion. It would have taken us much too long to kill him and dispose of him. Let us move on from this."

We finally camped out, under the stars as we always did. 

"Get some sleep," he said. "It has been a while. Rest up, for we have a big day tomorrow."

As I closed my eyes, I entered my mind again.

It's been a while

I turned to see Logic. Is it really that time again?

It has been a long time.

I pulled up a chair and we sat down and had tea, just like we always used to. Logic liked to constantly keep me in check, and I was happy to oblige. The mind can become a rather lonely place. How's it going with Emotion?

He's still being crazy. He wants me to tell you to apologize to Ashley and to tell her your plan.

I nodded. And you?

Me? I think our current plan is working fine. You're executing the plan perfectly, and sooner or later, the final aspects of the plan will show themselves.

Great. Why not tell me now?

In time, Brandon. In time.

Fine. We sat there drinking our tea and enjoying the quiet until I heard a large clattering coming up the stairs. I stood up in time to catch Emotion storming into the room.

Brandon, tell your plan to Ashley. She doesn't deserve to be put through all this.

Don't worry, Emotion. I have a plan.

You always side with him!

Not true. I'v skipped homework and classes a lot.

Fair point. But still, she's obviously suffering. You know what her mind is probably going through, you understand more than she does. You have to man up and tell her. Spare her the pain and get on with it!

Ok, ok. Fine. Would you like a cup?

Why not?

We sat down again and sat in silence. Once again. After a while, Logic stood up and sighed.

I have to say, this is the most silent Emotion has been in a while.

Oh, come on. Let's go, we have to do other stuff.

I sighed and sat in my chair once again. I took to my controls and worked on my memories again.

Should I tell her? It was a question that made my mind go at war. I usually was much better at this. I could think my way out of multiple situations at mere minutes. My brain hurt. It was hard to find a better choice. If I didn't tell her, my plan would escalate smoothly and I would be able to carry it out and perhaps to save to world. However, if I did tell her, then I could earn her love perhaps and be able to involve her in the plan.

It was all very complicated and, throughout my sleep, I could not stop thinking about it. I had to work out an entire web of thoughts in order to make any progress. Sadly, the most I could get to was a need for an aspirin. I could barely suppress a yell as I sat up.

S looked at me. "What is it?"

"Nothing."

"Fine. We are approaching the cave. Get your sword ready."

I groaned, blinked, and stood up. I looked up at the beautiful blue sky and sighed. It was a shame to have to go dungeon crawling on such a beautiful day.

As we walked away, I could still hear Emotion and Logic in my head, yelling at each other and presenting their own points. I couldn't help but chuckle. Those two could bicker all day and get nothing done about this subject. Usually, they worked very well together. They could resolve multiple issues in just a few milliseconds. But this. This I knew would be too hard for them to resolve alone. So, as I walked with S to the cave, I had to stand in the middle of their war and each one off and prevent each from slitting the other's throat.