Chapter 24

Can you really stand up to me? The drake slunk down from where it stood. I wanted to move, but I was paralyzed from head to toe, unable to move a single muscle. He slithered around me and pressed his dark scales against me. I felt so unconfident, like I was five years old again, and it was that night again, in front of my mother. That single memory caused me to jerk into action. I grabbed my sword, which caused him to crawl away. He hissed. So this is your secret weapon. Looks like I will be entertained after all. Why don't you show me your skills, young one?

I charged at him and swung with my sword. It bounced harmlessly off his hide. I grunted as the sword launched back. He swung his tail and hit me right in the gut. I flew straight into a wall and fell to the floor, groaning. The drake shook its giant head and stared at me with cold black eyes, shadows spawning around us. Looks like you were too weak, little one. But don't worry. You'll have a wonderful spot with the rest of the boys.

I thought about the other skeletons and how their life had been drained from them. I stared at the drake, his darkness consuming even himself. "I can't kill you, but I can contain you."

I vaulted onto his back and touched my sword to his head. He screamed and began to shake, but I hung on for dear life, letting the sword absorb his essence. Horrible visions flashed through my mind. I saw my past and my indoctrination, my life after I left my mother. I saw every single bit of death I had ever contributed before. I saw terrible things from the quest: facing the bulls, facing Dominic, killing those defenseless people while under the influence of S. Worst of all, I saw Ashley everywhere: meeting me, going on the quest with me, and leaving me.

I lost consciousness after a while. Even my dreams were dark. I saw the chest. It was glowing in a strange golden light. It spoke in a metallic voice, chuckling. Very nice, Brandon Lee. You will be a valuable player on my team. I thank you for taking out the Crusher. Bring the horn and the bone to me and you will be rewarded greatly. I will personally see to it that you be the one that I possess you. 

Really?  I asked.

Yes. You have many strengths that I could use. You are going to be one of my greatest allies and my loyal servant. I think this will be the start of something amazing. Now then, wake!

The box began to glow more intensely. I tried to shield my eyes, but I started to find myself being drawn to the chest. I fell in and started falling again...

and falling...

and falling...

I sat up and gasped. The room wasn't as dim anymore. I blinked and looked at where the crusher had been. There lay a skeleton. I nodded. He had joined the rest of his legion, and met the same fate that he had caused others.

I popped off one of his ribs and walked off. I passed the jewels and passed S still unconscious in the main chamber. I prodded him with my foot and walked outside. 

I stared at the brightness of the world. It took my eyes a very long time to adjust to the new lighting. I turned the horn over in my hands. It was surprisingly light and sharp for something that was about two feet long. I stuffed it into my pocket and walked around, savoring the new light that i had seen.

But, as I sat down, I remembered all of the things that I had seen in the cave. I remembered every single death I had caused and every single time I had wronged someone. I could not get the nagging feeling that I was the evil one in this scenario, I was the one responsible for the deaths of so many people. I thought of what it would be like if I did not kill people, if I was not a demigod.

I would be happy, with my mortal parents and my mortal life. I would go to school, make friends, have fun like a regular teenager, and not be involved in all this magic. It could be a little boring, I suppose, but better a boring life than a regretful one.

Then again, I would not have been able to meet Percy or Ashley or Annabeth or any of the others at camp. I wouldn't have the fun that I know today or the thrill and excitement of being something special. I would be in an unforgiving world and most likely not know what to do in times of crisis.

Besides, it does no one good to dwell on dreams. So, I pushed that thought back, stood up, and walked away, into the distance.