Chapter 41

I stepped back from the control board and turned it to automatic. After a few seconds, the board sunk into my mind and I opened up the project room.

Currently, it was empty. I quickly booted up the project I had been working on. If all went well, this would be my last project ever again. I'd spent a long time in the dungeon piecing together every word I'd gotten, taking in dimensions and movements, to come up with this. 

I already knew the position I would have to be in at every moment, but I ran through every action again and again, just to get them right. I had to have precise timing, as well as get the error bars down to minimize loss. I needed to guarantee both her safety and the safety of the world, which made the project a lot harder than what I usually did, but I was confident that I was going to succeed with my plan.

If you really want to do well, you might want to re-check your math.

I sighed and turned around. "I dismissed you."

I did not listen.

I shrugged. "Fair enough. Now then, what am I wrong on?"

The trajectory of this throwing knife, he pointed to a knife floating in the middle of the room, will be slightly greater than what you predicted.

"I measured the strength of every single one of them."

You have to factor in determination as well. This monster believes that he is the last hope for victory, and thus will give at least 1.5 to two times the amount of effort he would usually exert in that scenario.

I nodded, changing the simulation. "Then, I suppose I'll also have to factor in every monster afterwards, as they will have the same sentiment."

Well, the growth of determination to effort grows every time the monsters see their comrades fall, so, I would assume an increase perhaps .5 times more effort every time.

I finished mapping out everything again. "I'd always just assumed you'd be gone by now. Now, I guess you're here. This'll be easier."

Hopefully. Now, we should run through the test again, together. That way, we will be ready for anything.

I started to boot up the simulation.

You factored in the error bars?

"Yeah, yeah. I would hate to screw up just because of a slight angle change. Do they look good?"

Oh, they look fine. Let us begin.

On the first knife throw, it was evident that I was still getting used to Callum's presence. The hologram flew into my chest and the simulation ended. I groaned and started it up again.

After a couple of hours, we succeeded in completing the project five times in a row.

"I think we're good."

You mapped it out well. I cannot see anything that could go wrong, unless...

I waved my hand. "The girl is a part of it. She won't get in the way of anything. In fact..."

At that moment, a scream rang out from the outside. I smiled. "Showtime."

I opened my eyes. "Guess it's time to sell the illusion." I peeked through the bushes. No reinforcements yet. I sucked in air, blinked, and sprinted as fast as I could into the cave. 

"Ashley!"

________________________________________________________________________________

I huffed and slashed at another one. They just kept advancing. Every one I cut down, another guard would take its place. Soon, I was surrounded on all sides, pressed against the wall.

"Well, well, well." S pushed to the front and smiled. "Our little escapee."

"Get away from me!"

He turned to one of his guards. "You are sure that you were able to hurt Brandon Lee?"

He nodded. "Yes, Sir. A clean cut to the side."

"Good." He drew his sword and faced me. "Well, we have no more use for you anymore."

Suddenly, a voice rang out. "Ashley!"

He stiffened. "The boy is alive?" There were murmurs among the guards and many shifted uncomfortably. S stopped and began to think out loud.

"He is an enemy...But what power inside him!...Lord Kronos should be able to contain him...Better than most demigods...Perhaps we can get him to be the vessel..."

He cleared his throat. "No one is to make any moves to harm the girl."

There was a collective groan in the crowd. He continued. "She will be the bait, to rope in the big prey."

"Let's take her to the circle."

Suddenly, forty or so arms grabbed me simultaneously, pulling at my legs, arms, and hair. I screamed as loud as I could and tried to fight, until one of them finally threw a rag over my nose and mouth.

Slowly, I lost consciousness.

________________________________________________________________________________

"She is a lot easier than you think, Callum."

Of course that is how you think, you are the one in love with her.

"She is loyal and dedicated. She did take this mission, after all, even though she knew the plans."

You told her the plans? Are you crazy? Are you out of your mind?

"We are going to die, and I am fully prepared for it. I think that it would be almost impossible for me to say I was not insane."

I turned a corner and continued to sprint down. There were no monsters in the way, as expected. They would all be gathered for the trap.

I finally made it to the main room. A golden sarcophagus sat in the center. The rib and a strange horn lay on top. On the other side of the room, Ashley was handcuffed and slumped over on the ground.

S stood close to the sarcophagus, eyes on me. I looked around quickly. Every guard was in the position that I need, give or take a few centimeters.

"So, you are here. Prepare to face your new life as the vessel of your Lord."