Chapter 33

We reached the city at around nine. People were already at work and the streets were relatively clear of people. There was no one on the streets to guide us on our way to wherever the torture chamber was.

I had no idea where to start. I just knew that this was the place. However, the mist began to rise around me again, turning the air blue.

I can sense him. He is close.

"But where?"

"Uh, Ashley?"

"Not now. I'm talking to someone."

He's due north around the left corridor to the third base of the hideout.

"Uh, what?"

Tell your companion to follow you.

"Uh," I turned. "Just follow me."

Slowly, the mist surrounded me tighter. Soon, it was almost a body suit made of air. Then, my right leg jerked forward on its own. It took a step before my left leg jerked forward in the same manner and completed it. I began to move jerkily in a certain direction.

I could see Larry looking at me as if I were crazy. I felt my face grow hot and quickly looked away. "How come  you don't know this place?"

"Never been in this area. I've heard stories though. This is supposed to be the prime center for those raised by Linus."

"But, didn't you..."

"I took the test with the others in another one of the centers scattered across the country. The old torture facility was pretty bad, but I hear this is the worst."

"They have psychological torture devices that we can't even dream up. They have the most scientifically advanced scientists working for them to expose even deeper nerves than just physical pain. They've been able to bring back emotional and mental pain to many people, and that's what breaks them even more. At least, that's what the sources say."

"They say that here, the mental illness and insanity levels are higher than any other place that Linus commissioned. I don't know much else."

I continued to jerk forward, turning occasionally equally as robotic. It was as if the Eye had never been a human before.

I have not. Usually, Brandon has a general idea or understands me and I just have to sit, watch, and correct him. You do not know what you're doing, so I might as well guide you through it.

I gritted my teeth. Why did this spirit have to be like this? I didn't know something and he would just ridicule me for it. How could Brandon handle someone like him?

Well, probably because Brandon actually knows what he's doing most of the time. The few times where he doesn't know what he's doing, he asks politely and I'm more than obliged to help him.

I decided to stop thinking about these things.

I instead focused on Brandon. I still couldn't get over the fact that he liked me. What would our life be like after the quest? I liked Brandon as a friend. He was goofy and dumb and loved to joke around, but this quest and his true feelings towards me might complicate things. He was different now than he was back when I'd first met him. I still felt conflicted as to whether to like him in that way or not.

You would do better to show him affection. Brandon has told me many times how he feels towards you. In order to make him happy, I would suggest you love him back.

"Stop listening to my thoughts!"

"Uh..." Larry looked taken aback.

"Sorry," I apologized. "This stupid Eye won't stop intruding on my private thoughts."

While I reside in your body, so it will be that way. You might as well get used to this feeling.

I groaned. Great. I had to spend however more time with this guy who was now just stalking my thoughts and being stupid.

Well, if that is how you really feel, farewell.

The mist disappeared. I stopped moving jerkily. "Wait, wait. I didn't mean it!"

"What's wrong?"

"Uh...I think the Eye is mad at me. I don't know where to go from here."

Larry looked around. We had walked down a long block and were in the middle of an alley. It was full of graffiti that random people had sprayed on over and over. Certain images covered up others and now, it was just a messy blob of color on the wall of a building.

"I can't believe he would just leave us like this." I paced back in forth while Larry looked at the wall. "I can't believe that at this moment, when we actually need him, that stupid spirit would just dodge out and quit. Doesn't he care about Brandon? Doesn't he care about what's going to happen to the person he's possessing? He's probably laughing in my face right now as I'm talking to myself. He just loves to see me in pain, and that's probably why he stopped."

"That," said Larry, standing in front of a graffiti eyeball. "Or we're here at the entrance."

Larry blinked and opened his Eye. The wall instantly began the glow. Slowly, it broke apart, bricks falling to the ground. There was a deep, dark tunnel leading down.

Larry blinked and looked at me. "Ladies First." I sighed and jumped into the tunnel.