Chapter 9

The brain really is something extraordinary. They are able to function almost by themselves and we don't need to regulate them in any way. The body needs to be kept fit, and we still need nourishment, but the brain is something that only needs knowledge to store. At least, that's what I've gathered from studying people.

I didn't have a lot to do that night. It was slightly chilly, but I knew that Big Boss had packed us some clothes. The conversation that I had just had with Ashley was unnerving, and it also brought back the memories, of training, fighting, and Linus. So, for the first time in years...

...I opened my Eye...

Everything changed. I could sense the things that I never could before. I could feel a new energy pulsing through my body. I knew that i could do anything. However, I had to push myself to turn it off. I couldn't risk fatigue on the next day. Spending even a few seconds with the Eye left me dizzy and exhausted. I needed rest, and I knew it. However, I still sat there until the sunrise, thinking of her.

When Ashley finally awoke, she immediately became furious with me for not sleeping. Seriously, she went ballistic. She demanded that I take a nap or she wouldn't move. Rolling my eyes, I crept into my sleeping bag and fell asleep.

When I got up an hour later, I found Ashley playing with a golden metal ball. My eyes widened when I realized what she was holding, and I quickly snatched it from her.

"Hey!" She said, surprised. "I was looking at that."

I looked at her sternly. "You can keep this, but I'm going to have to explain it to you." I sat down. "This is an instant transporter. It can allow you to go to any prior location that you registered. I gave this to Big Boss after a week at Camp Half-Blood. If you twist the middle, it will take you back home." I tossed her the sphere. "Don't use it unless it's an emergency, or if you want to bail on the quest."

I held the transport out to her and she took it with shaking hands. In that split second of contact, I knew that she wouldn't use it. But, there was always something that could go wrong, so there had to be precautions.

After a few days of walking, I saw snow, small white flakes raining from the sky. Luckily, Big Boss really hooked us up, giving us both an entire winter collection. Even better, we found another car. This time, though, I gave Ashley a plastic bag, knowing that it would be a little better than open ended puking on the highway. She looked a little hesitant to get in the car, but I guess she thought it would be worth it, because she hopped into the car.

We went another two hundred miles before the car couldn't take it. Surprisingly, Ashley seemed fine with the ride that time. I guess she was used to the speed. I guessed that we were in Texas by then and was contemplating our next move when a shadow crept above us. Ashley squeaked and hid inside the car as a booming voice began.

"Do you require any assistance, children?"

I turned. "Sure, Dad. What do you have?

Hermes frowned, disappointed. "I didn't get you? Not even a little?"

"I told you it wouldn't work," said George.

"Oh be quiet, George, and let Hermes do his thing." said Martha.

"Ok, guys. Calm down." Hermes turned to me. "How ya been, kiddo?" he ruffled my hair and grinned.

Seriously, I never knew why he fancied jogging attire. Like, just because he was the God of travel didn't mean he had to be constantly proving he could run well. But, he wore his gray track suit anyways. After a brief explanation, a small argument, and a phone call with Hephaestus, Hermes turned to me with his serious face on.

"Look, Brandon. I got work to do. But, if you want a location or a person, I'd check the old mill over there." He pointed towards a shabby looking wooden mill. "There could be people there who can give it to you."

I sighed. "I guess there's no use in asking you to elaborate. Thanks, Pops." I slapped him on the back, grabbed my duffel bag, and walked towards the mill. Ashley struggled to keep up with me.

"Wow, Hermes seems a lot cooler than I thought."

I laughed. "The only thing cool about my dad is he doesn't care who he takes care of and he does us favors sometimes. Most children of Hermes are looked down upon and tossed into isolation." I turned to look at her. "We don't fit in. We're either too sneaky or too clever to let anyone catch us, and that's why so many people dislike us. Hermes is well renowned for thievery, and even guys like me get fit in that impression."

I stared at the mill. "The children of Hermes never have had it easy."

Ashley put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm so sorry..."

I turned to her. "Don't be. We have to finish this, not mope around for me." I took a step into the mill. 

"Let's get our intelligence."