Reminiscing-32

"They're where!" I yelled out before coughing up the orange juice that had gotten stuck in my throat due to surprise.

"In London Miss Alex," Alfred said again while he continued washing the dishes. "Apparently Bruce thinks that Interpol can help them out" Dick explained coming into the kitchen from behind me. I sighed, I can't say I wasn't happy that dad and Damian were spending their time together, but when I thought of father and son bonding I wasn't exactly picturing them taking down bad guys. But then again I don't know what else I was expecting, this is the Bat-family(as Dick had called us) after all.

"Sometimes I get second thoughts about how dad has decided to raise you guys," I said shaking my head. Dick chuckled and patted my shoulder in comfort before walking over to the fridge and getting a soda.

"Anyway, I have to go to work. If dad calls say I said 'good luck and don't break too many bones'. I'll see you when I get back" I said before taking my purse and going out to my car and driving to the Animal shelter. I parked my car and went inside through the back door.

"Yo Ryland" I greeted as I saw him standing in the hallway looking at the actual "Alex, hey. Heard you have some family drama going on, care to give me the juicy details?" He asked I rolled my eyes. Ryland was, well he was actually my boss although he didn't really act like it. He was very nice and almost immediately gave me the job when Kat explained my situation to him(Kat is his cousin). He was also the leader when it came to animal rescues and was also called the Animal Whisperer because of how great he was with all kinds of animals. Now this place wasn't small by any means, this center was actually huge and had lots of different animals both big and small, which is why it was located a little outside Gotham, but there was a smaller center inside the city, mostly used as the main adoption center while this was more of a rehabilitation center to get the animals back on their feet so they could get adopted. I normally worked at the smaller center in the city but lately, there was a greater need here at the big center so I was moved here temporarily to help out.

"So I need you to go to the stables and get Walnut his medicine since Carrie is sick" He ordered, I gave him a salute before making my way to the stables. Walnut was one of the six horses that were rescued a week ago, while the other horses were malnourished and dehydrated Walnut was very sick, so sick that when we rescued him Carrie(one of the veterinarians that work with the shelter) didn't think he'd survive, but he surprised us all and pulled through which was a very welcomed surprise. And although he was better than when we found him, he was still in a very bad condition which meant that he needed to be extra cared for. I went into the stables and walked down to one of the more secluded areas where we kept the sick horses. Of course, we didn't just have horses here, we also had donkeys, lamas and even a camel. As to why and how we had a camel and some llamas, well there was a guy who tried to make his own zoo in his backyard but that ended up with a dead endangered tiger and him getting sent to prison to rot. While most of the animals from the self-made zoo was sent to a proper zoo to get traded and taken care of, the camel and llamas were sent here, I don't know why exactly but they were here.

I picked up the medicine box that Carrie always left here since this one was specifically for the horses before I walked over to his stable and looked at Walnut, he seemed to be relaxed but clearly anxious as to what was going to happen. Walnut wasn't used to human interaction, but luckily he wasn't violent like some of the others.

"Hey there Walnut, I'm sorry Carrie couldn't be here today but I hope you'll let me help you instead, just for today" I calmly said, before going inside the stable putting down the medicine box by the stable gate. I went over to him and stuck my hand out slowly, waiting for him to come to me, which he did after a few minutes. I began to pet his snout before moving to the side and petting his throat.