Chapter 28

- Maddie
- Thursday Morning
I wake from the sound of my phone ringing.
I groan as I reach over and answer without looking at the contact name.

I'm greeted by Joey loud voice singing happy birthday and laughter. I smile.
"Thank you Joey" I smile.
"No worries, look outside" and then and there he hangs up our call.

I get out of bed and look out my window. He's holding up balloons and cards.
I rush downstairs and hug him.
"I said don't get me anything but thank you" I smile, breaking the hug.
"You know I was still gonna get you something, that's what friends do" he playfully punches me.

This friends with benefits stuff is actually getting real.

"Yea" I chuckle.
"See ya at school" he gives me my gifts and hug me one more time before he walks off waving.

I smile again and walk back in the house.
I put my card he gave me and the balloons down on my bed.

- at school
I walk down the hall to people still calling me sluts and whores.
Geez can't they just get over it.
I sigh.

I walk into the bathroom to check on my myself because this aesthetic birthday outfit Lexi made me wear is really getting uncomfortable.

Behind me there's Karla checking her lipstick.
She glares at me and writes "Maddie is a hoe" on the mirror with her pink lipstick.

"Wanna be aesthetic when you're really being pathetic" she laughs.

I walk up to her.
"Why can't you just drop all of this?" I ask.
"Drop what?" She giggles.
"Don't play dumb. We used to be best friends, what happened?" .
She rolls her eyes and walks out.

I get a paper towel and wet it with water. I wipe off the writing she put on the mirror.

- at lunch
I grab my granola bar out of my backpack and put my earphones in.
"Hey best friend" Joey says before I can start my music.

"Hi Joey"
He then steps on my table and yells.
"EVERYONE CAN I GET YOUR ATTENTION"
Everyone looks up at joey standing on the table.
"THERE HAVE BEEN RUMORS GOING AROUND THE INTERNET ABOUT ME AND MADISON. IM DOING THIS TO CLEAR THE RUMORS. ME AND MADISON ARE GOOD FRIENDS! IN THAT CLOSET WE WERE DOING NOTHING! I JUST HAD TO TALK TO HER ABOUT SOMETHING IMPORTANT BECAUSE THATS WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR. SO PLEASE STOP WITH THE RUMORS, THANK YOU" He Jumps off the table and smiles at me.
Some kids are laughing others are understanding and nodding.

- after school.
I'm walking home from school until I hear a familiar voice call my name.
I look back and it's the dance teacher.
"Oh shit" I mumble.
She catches up with me and smiles.

"Hello" she says.
"Hi, Miss chapel"
"You haven't been at dance for a long time, you missed over 3 competitions." She says.
I don't reply I just look down trying to think of a excuse to tell her.
"How have you been? I heard about your fight with Karla I'm really surprised"
"I know. I am too. I've been feeling really down lately and really busy with school since we only have about 3 weeks left" I sigh.
"Yes I understand. I heard about your best friend Alexis.... I will send my prayers to you, feel free to come back to dance when you want... you can even come back next year" she smiles.

I nod.
"I really have to go but have a nice day" she walks off.
I wave and continue walking home.

When I get home I'm greeted by "happy birthday!!" Charles, Joey, Alexis, and Mia standing around the living room.

I smile and laugh. We go in the kitchen and there's so much snacks and cake. We play board games and listen to music while eating cake for the rest of the day. Everyone is so happy. Even Alexis curled up in Charles lap.

( Vote, comment, share)