late night talking

joey

joey

"what's your story?" june asked me. i looked up at the stars and shrugged. we were outside sitting down on a bench that was in front of the diner. i've been sitting here chatting with june and getting to know each other. she was an only child and she was kinda antisocial but she was a pretty fascinating girl.

i wanted to tell her my whole life story, but i'm scared it'll scare her away and i really don't want it to. she's someone i'd wanna know forever honestly.

"i've been a troubled kid my whole life." i confessed. i look over at her. she raised a brow. "tell me more."

"the first time i was arrested was when i was fourteen years old. me and my friends threw rocks at this house because he gave an innocent kid a wedgie." i chuckled. "but in my defense we were defending that poor kid so."

"did you guys ever become friends after that?" she asked. i nod and took a drag out of my cigarette. i was freezing my balls off and smoking was helping me warm up.

"it was actually tayler." i look at her. "the guy who came with me with morning."

she gasped. "really? and to this day you guys are still friends? that's gotta be the cutest thing ever!" she giggled. i hand her the cigarette. she takes a short drag of it before coughing loudly.

i laugh a bit and take the cigarette out of her fingers. "not much of a smoker are you?" i asked her. she shook her head. "i just didn't wanna seem like a wuss if i didn't smoke." she pouts.

"it's actually better if you don't smoke." i take another hit. "i'm just doing it to keep me warm."

"do you smoke regularly?" she asked.

"sometimes, i only really do it with my sister when we have a lot going on." i throw my cigarette on the floor and stomp on it.

"ooo a sister? i didn't know you had one, you seem like the only child type."

i look down at the floor, burying my fists inside the pockets of my hoodie. "i actually had two sisters, one now but yeah." i look back at her.

she frowns. "would you mind if i ask what happened to the other one?"

i shook my head. i hesitated before answering her question. i didn't open up much, not to anyone except tayler. he was the only one who understood me, besides from bella, but you know the story to that.

"she was murdered." i gulped and looked down again.

"shit joey i'm so sorry." i shook my head and sighed, resting my head against the window of the diner.

"don't be." i flickered my eyes over at her. "it was my fault." i shot my head up. "i shouldn't have stepped out of the house, maybe even then she'd still be alive."

"do you know who did it?"

"nope." i breathed out. "but i'm their number one suspect. my parents think i did it because they found me with her dead body and i was covered with her blood." i stood up from my seat and stood in front of her.

"my parents called the cops on me, but i ran away before they got to the house. it's been almost a year and i haven't returned home nor heard from them."

she stood up. she cupped my cheeks and kissed my forehead lightly. "i'm so sorry joey. you don't deserve any of that."

i closed my eyes and nodded slowly. "i'd never hurt her june, she was my world and i loved her so much. she was the only person who really understood me and she was just taken from me and i don't know why." i sniffed. i tried to hold in my tears, but they started pouring out pretty quickly.

"it's gonna be okay joey, you just have to prove youre innocent." i shook my head and pulled away from her.

"you don't understand june." i took a deep breath and looked into her eyes. "that's not the only reason why i have the cops looking for me."

she looked at me confused. "why else?"

i was about to answer her question until i heard my phone ring. i take it out and see dev's name across the screen. "give me a sec." she nods and sits back down. i walk away from her and answer his call. "what is it?"

"where are you man? we have to go hit that bank soon, remember?" i look down at my watch and mentally face palm myself.

"okay, yeah i'll be there soon." i sigh.

"hurry up!" he shouts before hanging up. i groan and slide my phone back in my pocket before walking over to june.

"i have to go, my friends are waiting for me." she nods and stood up. "right of course, the mystery joey has to leave so soon right before he's about to tell me his big juicy secret." she said sarcastically.

i rolled my eyes playfully. "i'll see you tomorrow, hopefully?" i nod. "of course, you can count on it."

she smiled and walks back inside the diner. i wait for her to walk inside, once she does my smile fades away. i start making my way back to the hotel.

i arrived about five minutes later. i open the door and see dev, bryce and tayler packing up their stuff. "get your shit joseph, we're gonna go leave the car filled with our stuff at the parking lot, get inside the other car and drive over to the bank. once we're finished with that we'll drive pack to the parking lot, get into a new car and hit the road to vegas."

i furrowed my brows. "wait, i thought we weren't leaving for vegas until tomorrow?" i grab my duffel bag and start packing up all my stuff. bryce shook his head. "too dangerous, we need to leave as soon as we can."

"what's the matter?" tayler asked. "afraid you'll leave your dream girl back at the diner?" he cooed, pinching my cheeks. i rolled my eyes and slapped his hands away. "not fucking funny."

"i'm sorry joey, but falling in love wasn't part of the plan." bryce says, walking out of the hotel room with his duffel bag in his hand.

"he's right joey." dev says. "unless you wanna sneak her in the trunk, then i'd help you with that." he winked, walking out of the room.

"shit, can he really do that?" tayler looked back and forth between me and dev before walking out of the hotel room. i rolled my eyes and followed behind them all, closing the door behind me once i stepped out.

bryce drove us the empty abandoned parking lot where our cars were. there were exactly 150 of them, just in case anything bad happens, we were always prepared.

we got out of our current car and got inside a black one. bryce and dev were in front while me and tayler were in the back. i stared out the window thinking about june.

i didn't wanna leave her behind, i don't wanna sound clingy or anything, but i'd probably miss her a lot. more than anyone knows. i hate feeling like this and i hate falling for someone, it never ends up good, for either of us.

love is nothing but pain.

we finally arrived at the bank a moment later. we all grabbed our guns and put on our masks. "let's do this!" dev shouts before getting out of the car, the rest of us following behind him.