addiction

( trigger warning! mention of drug use, addiction, and overdose. go ahead and skip this chapter if you're sensitive to any of these topics! )

 go ahead and skip this chapter if you're sensitive to any of these topics! )

june

i suddenly jumped in my seat and wake up. i look around at my surroundings and notice we were in the middle of nowhere. i look over to the drivers side and see dev sitting there with his arm resting on the wheel. "where's everybody?" he looked over at me and nodded over to the back.

"they're taking a piss break." he answered. i nod slowly and stare at his arm. i noticed there were some track marks on there. my father had some on his arms, he was addicted to shooting heroin into his veins.

"don't you have to take a piss break?" i asked him, i kept my gaze on his arm. i didn't know dev shot up, i figured he was just like joey and smoked some weed and maybe even took bars too, but i guess not.

"no, i don't." he suddenly pulled his sleeve down, covering up his track marks. i look at him and gulp. "i'm sorry i didn't mean to-"

"don't worry about it." he interrupts mid sentence. he looked away from me. i wanted to ask him if he has done it recently, but judging from his scars it looked like they were healing. yet, i couldn't seem to stop thinking about it. dev didn't look like the type to struggle with any form of addiction, i always thought he was the innocent one in the group actually.

but i'm guessing just like everyone else, he's trying to escape from his old life and start fresh. maybe that's why he's been so worked up about trying to get to vegas as fast as he can.

"do you still do it?" i blurted out. he stiffened up. shit, i shouldn't have said anything. i don't know why i even said that, it just came out. "you don't have to answer me, i didn't mean to-"

"three weeks." he interrupted me once again. i looked at him curiously. he kept his eyes out the window, eventually he looked over at me and hesitated before answering my question. "it's been three weeks since i've done smack."

he started explaining his whole situation on how he started. he grew up in a house full of drugs. both his parents were addicts, his mother even passed due to the overdose of coke. after her death, he changed. his father would beat him and blame him for her death even if he had nothing to with it.

but his addiction started his freshman year of high school.

dev *flashback*

i walked through the halls of this shit hole. nothing but fake people both left and right. rumors started spreading about how i got kicked out of my old school. half would say it was because i beat the crap out of this kid, the other half thought it was because of drugs. both parties were true.

i sold two g's to this guy i knew. i made the mistake of handing it over to him before getting my money. he kept telling me that he would pay me back as soon as he got the money, i believed him at first but then he kept making up excuses. i eventually got tired of his shit so i fought the kid, slammed his head against the locker about five times before someone had stopped me. i fractured the kids skull, but i couldn't care less.