little bro

joey

joey

"joey.."

"joey.."

"joey!"

i groan and shot up from a bed, i opened my eyes slowly and looked around. i felt like utter shit right now, i had a huge headache and my mouth felt dry.

"finally, mom and dad came home so i had to hide you in my room. you passed out." i heard sophia say. i stood up on my two feet and stumbled a bit before realizing where i was.

"you stuffed me in the closet?" i asked her. she nodded and fidgeted with her fingers nervously. "my room is small and i couldn't really hide you anywhere else, so the closet was the only option."

i opened my mouth to say something but i was interrupted by the voice of my mother. "sophia honey, where are you." i widened my eyes and looked at her, i started to panic.

she placed her finger over her mouth to shush me. she walks out of her closet slowly and closes the door behind her. "i'm here!" i heard her say. i walked over to the door and peaked thorough the blinds of the closet.

there i saw my mother standing there in front of soph at her bed. soph sat down on the edge and took what seemed like a little boy in her arms. i furrowed my brows. since when did my mom give birth to another boy? i never knew she was pregnant.

"i need you to watch him for a bit, your father and i are going on a date for the night so please be careful and don't let any strangers in." soph rolled her eyes and nodded.

"nothing's gonna happen mom, i got this." she gave the little boy his pacifier and set him down on the floor. he suddenly started running towards me so i panicked a bit and backed away.

my mother and soph started talking and reminiscing about what happened in the past. i was too focused on the little boy to even listen to what they had to say. the boy started babbling and slapping the closet door which made my anxiety go wild.

"kash, stop hitting the door." i heard soph say. i crawled over to the door and looked at him closely. my eyes locked with his. he took his pacifier out of his mouth and started playing with it before running back to soph.

"i'll see you later soph." my mother says. i heard footsteps leave the room followed by the door closing. i wait a few seconds before slowly walking out of her closet. soph picked up kash and walked up to me. "mom surprised us with a pregnancy a week after bella's death. you were gone by then but, joey this is kash, kash this is joey. your brother."

kash looked at me. he hid his head in soph's shoulder shyly. "nice to meet you kash." i mumbled quietly. for some reason i had this awful pit in my stomach but then i came to realization that kash won't be growing up with an older brother by his side. i'm sure my parents haven't even told him anything about me and maybe they even hid my pictures.

i fucked up bad. maybe if i hadn't done so much crimes that i'd still have a family, a place to call home too. but sometimes i wish my parents did believe me, maybe even call me to check if i'm okay. but even i knew they'd never do that, they don't want anything to do with their disappointment of a son. they pointed their fingers straught at me which said a lot about their love for me. not that there was much love to even begin with.

"i should get going." i look down and pick up my shoes from the floor. didn't realize i didn't have them on until now. i start walking over to the door but sophia puts her hand on my chest and stops me. she shook her head. "not until you eat first."

"soph, i'm not safe here. you know that. i think it's best for both of you if i just leave." kash brought his head up and looked at me. i looked at him. "it was nice meeting you little man." i touch his cheek softly with my finger and smile. he smiled a bit and started babbling.

"i don't think he wants you to go either joey." soph says. "he wants to hang out with his older brother for a bit. plus you don't leave until tomorrow so there's no harm in that."

i sigh. it takes me only a couple of seconds to finally give in. "the mac and cheese is already ready too.." she trailed off.

"okay i'm in." i tell her "but only because i love mac and cheese." she grinned and cheered. kash clapped his hands and cheered as well making both of us laugh.

the three of us head downstairs and into the kitchen. while soph served us the food i took a look in the hall where all our family photos were. i walked down slowly and looked around, my heart sunk. not one single pic that had me in it, nothing. guess mom really did hate my guts for what i've done.

"joey, come eat!" soph shouts from the dining room. i shook it off and head into the dining room. i sit down across from soph and kash on the side. we all start eating, soph and i start chatting and catching up. i told her about my small crush on june and how it upsets me that i won't be seeing her again. that's when she gave me the craziest idea, she told me to take june with me to vegas since she can't join me. there is an extra spot in the car but i feel like it's too soon to be asking june to run away with me, i mean i haven't even kissed her yet.

i was considering doing it, but i'm afraid to ask her. i feel like she'll say no. plus i don't think she even likes me, maybe she's just doing all this so it looks like she cares. i don't know, i've never had anyone really care about me.

soph and i were in the middle of a conversation until we were interrupted by the door bell ringing. she and i looked at each other confused. "expecting anybody." she shook her head and stood up. she walked up to the door and opened it.

"hi, we're from LAPD and we were informed that jospeh matthew birlem was seen here around a few hours ago. we noticed you're his sister so if you don't mind if we take a look ar-"

"hey!" one of the detectives shouted. i widened my eyes when he made eye contact with me. i shot up from my seat and made a run for it. i ran out of the back door, i heard footsteps following behind me.

"jospeh, stop!" i heard one of the detectives shout after me, but i ignored it and kept running. i ran down one of the empty streets on the right. i found a fence with a huge hole in it that led to another street. i quickly went through it and saw a dumpster, i stopped. i looked over my shoulder and saw the detectives running after me, they were still far from me so i hoped they didn't see me when i snuck inside the dumpster

i immediately regret it because it was so full of trash. i was about to get out but then i heard two pair of footsteps running so that's when i stayed in here. i started panting heavily and tried catching my breath. i wasn't expecting to end my night with me in a dumpster.