Chapter Thirteen - Amusement Park

~Jeremy~

Alyssa gave me a slight nudge, before tearing a piece of paper away from her notebook—which was only full of doodles—and scribbling something on it hastily. Then, she slid the paper to me.

Ally: ?yadnus no eerF

I stared at her like she was some maniac writing some bullshit. What language was this? Spanish? French? Japanese? She blinked continuously at me before finally letting out a sigh, and mouthing out the words “Code words” to me. I continued gawking at her for a minute before I felt something click in my brain. Oh, the code words we used to write in when we were six! I can’t believe she actually remembered that.

Our code was just to write the words backwards, so we had to read from right to left. I penciled out the words on my desk and it formed “Free on Sunday?”

I waggled my eyebrows at her. Why? Did she want to go on a date with me? She returned me a smirk before tapping on the paper impatiently, urging me to reply.

Jelly: eatd a no o got tnaw uoY? yhW?

Translation: [Why? You want to go on a date?]

After a few brief seconds of flipping the words backwards mentally and then copy-pasting it onto the paper itself, she passed it back to me.

Ally:  allebasI dna eloC htiW. atad elboud a s'ti, haN.

I may be a genius, but it still took me some time to crack the code.

Translation: [Nah, it’s a double date. With Cole and Isabella ]

Immediately, the silly grin on my face changed into a scowl. I felt something snap within me. My heart sank. Why did she want to be so involved, sticking her nose into other people’s love affairs? Doesn’t she feel like she was drifting away from me? We didn’t hang out as much anymore, and she would rather spend time teasing Cole or matchmaking Isabella and him together. I just felt…we weren’t as close anymore.

I felt that our relationship lost its spontaneity and sparkle. Our nights spent together became routine, and kisses and hugs became as natural and expected as breathing. I still loved her, but did she love me?

I faked a smile that barely even reached my ears and nodded my head to the more-than-thrilled Alyssa beside me, totally oblivious to my feelings.

Maybe…maybe we could patch things up on the double date? Who knows? It may be for the better.

~*~*~

~Alyssa~

Once Jeremy gave his consent and support, I felt so power-packed with exhilaration, my mind whirling with excitement. I couldn’t wait to break the news to the two I was matchmaking. My mouth felt so itchy I just could scream it all out, but I urged myself to hold it in.

Time passed so slowly, I bet if Time was contesting in a marathon, he would be last place, and the ninety year old grandma who lived beside me would be able to run—or totter—pass him.

Finally, when the bell rang, and everyone had dispersed, I pulled back Cole and Isabella just in time before they left. “So…” I wet my lips before continuing, “ I was thinking…of doing a double date!”

I expected a more enthusiastic reply but all they did was shoot me confused looks.

“But…but, I don’t have a date!” Isabella looked down at her shoes, visibly embarrassed.

“Count me out, me neither.” Cole leaned against his desk, brushing his fringe away from his navy-blue eyes.

I rolled my eyes. They were so ignorant! “That’s why…you two will be partnering each other, duh!”