Chapter Twenty - The Prize Presentation

~Alyssa~

“Alyssa! Where have you been for the past three days?” Isabella rushed to my side as soon as she spotted me amongst the crowd. Jeremy was lagging behind her, hands chucked in his pockets and eyes downcast.

I forced a weak smile at both of them, and I think I saw Jeremy’s lips twitch for a moment. Isabella shook me from my daze, cupping my face in her hands and turning my head so that I faced her.

“So?” She pressed on, her face totally serious.

“I…um…kind of got sent to the hospital because I got stuck in the rain.” I played with my fingers, unable to meet Jeremy’s shocked gaze.

“You…what?!” Isabella shrieked, and her hand flew up to my forehead. “You okay now?”

I took her hand and pulled it back down to her side. “Yeah.”

“Cole didn’t tell us about this…” I heard Jeremy mutter and my heart skipped a beat. Was he worried about me? Did…did he just talk to me?

I felt my jaw drop and I quickly closed my mouth. “It’s not your fault, Jelly….Jeremy.” I bit my lip. “Thanks for bringing me back home that day.” Our eyes met for a second and I felt electricity buzz through during our eye contact. I quickly broke contact, to avoid seeing his pained expression.

Isabella looked at Jeremy, and then turned to me, and then her stare went back to Jeremy again. “So…” She furrowed her eyebrows together, as if trying to think of something last minute. “Where’s Cole?” She questioned, peering at the people behind me.

“Don’t bother looking for him. Today’s the prize-giving ceremony, remember? He’s probably preparing backstage. He even left early for this. He seemed quite hyped up for today’s event.” I fumbled with my creased blouse hem, as I explained.

“Oh yeah!” Isabella smacked her lips together and her eyes gleamed in enthusiasm. “Jeremy just told me his mum was the VIP for today’s event! I bet his mother must be really pretty.” She sighed as her eyes wandered off.

I looked at Jeremy, raising a skeptical eyebrow and he nodded his head gingerly.

“That’s…um…cool.” I deadpanned, dreading of how I had to act like I was all friendly with Jeremy later when I met Mrs. Jones later, even though everything was not okay.

“Well, let’s go settle down in the auditorium now! I want to get a good view of Cole today!” Isabella urged us to move.

I was about to leave with her when I felt Jeremy tug at my hand, stopping me from advancing. With widened eyes, I glanced down at the hand that he was holding on so firmly onto.

“Reserve two seats for Alyssa and me, we’ll catch up later.” Jeremy told Isabella expressionless, his eyes not leaving my face.

“Uh, okay?” The totally confused Isabella agreed. I looked at her with pleading eyes, telepathically begging her not to leave me. But being the dense person she was, she just skipped off happily, joining in some other over-enthusiastic girls.

I pressed my lips into a line, shutting my eyes tight. I took breathless breaths, and made feeble attempts to regulate my panting, but I was totally hyperventilating inside, my mind whirling and my heart thumping against my ribcage. Jeremy, he’s holding my hand! What was Jeremy going to do? What did he want? Please, just let me go! I’m not prepared! I’m not ready to talk to him—

“Alyssa, um, we need to t-talk.” Jeremy stuttered, stumbling over his words. Good, at least now I knew he was as nervous as I was.

I inhaled a deep breath and spun to face him, leaping away so we weren’t so close. “Y-yes?” I stammered, all panicky inside.