Chapter Twenty-Four - Hard Choices

Thank you for the awesome cover!

She’s Some Lucky Girl-Chapter 24

~Alyssa~

“Say, A-lee-sa. Alyssa. Come on Jayden you can do this.” I curled my tongue up while pronouncing my name. It wasn’t that hard was it? Why couldn’t Jayden say it! Oh my god, Jeremy, I finally know your pain when I couldn’t utter your name properly. I felt like pulling my hair out! Ugh!

“Asher!” Jayden pointed his tiny finger at me, forming little bubbles on his mouth as his lips were curled into a cheeky smile.

I grasped onto his two sides firmly and looked into his eyes. “Not Asher, Jayden honey, Alyssa!” I cried out, exasperated. I flung my hands in the air and let out a scream.

He ducked from under me and teetered away, flapping his hands up and down. “Asher, Asher, Asher!”

“Mom!” I twirled around and put my hands on my hips, giving her a pout. “Tell Jayden its Alyssa, not Asher!”

Mum didn’t even bother looking up from the newspaper that was placed arms-length away from her. She fiddled with her reading glasses that was perched at the tip of her nose and sighed. “Give it a rest Alyssa, Asher sounds fine.”

“Ugh!” I squatted down to pick Jayden up before he touched the electrical switch. If I wasn’t there to take care of him, he would have been a roasted duck long time ago.

“It’s not fine, mum! Asher’s a guy name! I’m a girl!” I rolled my eyes in disgust as I avoided the spits that Jayden had aimed at me. Who knew taking care of a child was such a chore!

“Count yourself lucky you’re not named after gelatin.” My mum smirked, folding the paper up to shoot me a sympathetic look. “Even Jeremy got used to his nickname, I’m sure you will too.”

I winced at my mum’s remark. “Touché.”

Just then the door clicked open and Cole staggered in with a weary look on his face.

I sighed with relief. I had been so worried about Cole, but didn’t dare to call Cole and interrupt him.  And not to mention my phone was under repair after I dropped it in the Haunted House and I would only get my temporary phone tomorrow, and my father was in his study room using the home telephone line. I felt so helpless without a phone.

“Cole’s back!” Jayden struggled to wriggle free from my grasp as he reached out his hand to Cole.

Cole gave him a wry smile and awkwardly embraced him, giving him a slight pat on the back before putting him down in his play pen.

I grabbed his hand and whispered in a low tone. “What did Mrs. Jones want?”

“Cecilia knows Cole? That’s weird; I don’t remember talking about Cole to her. Nor did I tell her about Jayden, how did she know?” My mum overheard me and tore her gaze from the newspaper. Now her eyes were concentrated on us with a raised eyebrow.

Cole and I shot her a shaky laugh. My mum didn’t know about the whole Cole-is-actually-Danny-who-is-actually-Mrs-Jones-son-that-she-abandoned matter. And I somehow had a glitch that it was meant to be kept a secret, since Jeremy had told me Mrs. Jones had intentionally hid this truth from my mum.

“She-um- presented me with an award—““They met in a park!” We both answered simultaneously, before glaring at each other. Gee Alyssa, they met in a park, seriously? I slapped my forehead before turning to my mum, who was sending us quizzical looks, probably wondering why we both had different answers.

I pointed at Cole with my thumb. “Uh, yeah, whatever he said, Haha…ha.” I probably sounded like a total fool now as my voice trailed away in the awkward silence and the fact that Cole was silently strangling me with his invisible cowboy rope.