Chapter Thirty-Seven - Still on my Date with Jeremy

~Jeremy~

After we had somewhat “successfully” three tasks all at one go—the “Get kicked out of the cinema” task, the “Perform in front of a crowd” task and the “Get in trouble with the police” task—we headed for an art studio which I had rented for the paintball fight of a lifetime.

“Here we are.” I indicated with a big grin plastered on my face as I swerved his car right in front of the studio.

“Thanks.” Alyssa gave me a small smile of gratitude as I politely opened the car door for her. My stomach did a slight flip at the smile she sent me.  

At our first step into the studio, both of us stood rooted to the ground, marveling at the sight before our eyes. I had requested for the room to be covered with canvas, but even I was impressed. The whole room was so freakishly white it was kind of blinding to the eyes. The first thought that screamed in my head was : Wow, did we step “into the light?”

Alyssa grimaced as her hand shot up to her face, in attempt to shield her eyes. “Wow.” She grimaced, seeming as if she was looking for the right words to comment. “This is so…um, bright.”

That’s it? Bright? No other remarks and compliments like, Oh my god Jeremy, you’re the best! This place is amazing! I love you! …Or something like that? Geez, Alyssa was stingy on the comments isn’t she? My heart sunk a little but I didn’t let this bring my spirits down. 

I squinted his eyes slightly but the excited smile on I face never faltered. I strode in a fast pace to the center of the room, my face etched with eagerness. “I had the artist cover every single corner of the room with white canvas. That way, we can make a mess all we like without having to worry about dirtying the place up. You like it?”

She smiled prettily at me, her eyes in slits but somehow just made her look so cute and emphasized on her long eyelashes. “It’s wonderful.”

The weight on my heart lightened instantly. At least this was an indication she enjoyed it; I had put in my utmost effort into this date. I couldn’t mess up again.

“Right.” I exclaimed, clasping my hands together and twiddling my fingers. “Enough talk, more action.”

I jogged over to the corner of the studio where two buckets were patiently waiting, full of paintballs. I sucked in a breath and pushed my sleeves up, using all my strength to lift those buckets up. Boy were they heavy.

I struggled to carry the buckets over to Alyssa, almost tripping down and falling a couple of times. I made sure no whimpers escaped my lips.

“Need help with that?” Alyssa inquired out of politeness, starting to walk over to me.

“No!” I objected, a little too harshly. “I mean, pft!” I flipped my fringe, trying to act like the buckets were nothing to me, when actually they were practically dislocating my arms away from my torso. “This is nothing to me.”

Alyssa frowned, a look of doubt flickering across her eyes for a second. “Okay then. You were never the strong type of person though, Jeremy. I just wanted to help.” She shrugged, backing away a few steps.

I winced, mentally slapping myself for being so cold and harsh. “So!” I quickly averted from the awkward topic, injecting my voice with enthusiasm. “One bucket for you, and one for me! Shall we start?” I waggled my eyebrows at her.

I bent down to pick one paintball up. “Wait!” Alyssa cried out. “Aren’t we supposed to change—“

Splat!