20: Court & Courter (1)

Hercules Mulligan X Reader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crown Tavern.

A place the higher ups in the King's army all came to drink and celebrate.

You not only worked there, but owned it.

"Missy!" You turned around and looked at the man who called you. "I will have another beer!"

You put on a smile and called over Deborah, your partner in both business and spying, to pick up the drink and take it to him. Tonight you weren't in any mood to wait on the red coats.

You looked up at the sound of the bell connected to the door ringing. There stood your courter, Hercules.

"I've come back, with more rum!" He proclaimed.

The many officers sitting all across the bar raised their cups, and cheered an approval.

Hercules smiled along with the officers and you didn't see that smile disappear when he turned away, because it was immediately replace with a pure smile for you. He walked behind the bar and set down the large barrel of Ale that would last  you til closing time. He then turned to you again.

"Thank you for getting another barrel for me, Hercules." You said after you wiped down the counter, and turned to him.

"Any time." He gave you a kiss. "So, did any men try to come by and hit on you while I was gone?"

Hercules wasn't a jealous man, but you worked around many drunk men, and all you had on staff were women. It is only logical to be worried.

"None." You answered him with a lie. Someone had come by, and you had given him the information you had picked up from the talk around the tavern. "And even if someone did, they would never amount to you."

"Y/n, I need your help in the back." Deborah interrupted your moment. You nodded and excused yourself, putting Margarita, your other server and comrade, on the drinks for the time being.

You walked with Deb to the back of the Tavern and out the back door. You two walked a short distance towards the shadows. You told Deborah you would be fine on your own, and she went back to the Tavern.

"Y/n?" A voice called out from the shadows.

"Caleb? What are you doing here?" You kept your voice low for you were in enemy territory.

"I'm here to deliver a message straight from the General. I didn't trust anyone else to know about you and the others."

"Thank you for thinking about us. What is the message?"

"He wants to meet with you. So you can give a face to face report."

"Face to face? It must be important."

"It is. I reached out to our other informant in the city, and he's coming too."

"When?"

"Tomorrow morning."

"Okay... wait  did you say the other informant was going too?"

"Yes, is that a problem?"

"It may be... My tavern serves literally the whole army based here in New York. Don't you think it would make them suspicious if I leave on such short notice with two men they've never seen before?"

Caleb chuckled and tapped your forehead with his pointer finger, "Smart girl."

"Okay... You will leave with me... a-and I'll tell the other one to travel alone!"