42: How I Met Your Mother

John Laurens X Reader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Give it up, Laurens, you've been trying for a month!" You recognized that voice as Burr, and you could hear someone walking towards you. You assumed it was John.

Now, Burr wasn't exaggerating. John Laurens has been trying for a month to get a date with you. It all started when you kept coming up with clapbacks for his pick up lines when you first met. In the end, you two made a bet which said: If John could leave you speechless on a pick up line, you owed him a date. He agreed to your offer. John seemed like a nice, funny guy from what you could speculate from the times that you would see him.

"Hi, John." You turned to him as he approached.

"Hi, Y/n." John gave you a smile.

You took a sip of your drink, "So what have you got for me today?"

"Well, Y/n,  I don't really have anything planned." The freckled faced man, took a seat next to you.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry but I was caught up in fighting a battle."

"What battle?"

"The battle for your heart."

"Well, John I'm sorry you wasted your time with that battle because you are bound to lose."

"Yes, I figured that when you crossed the bridge into my heart instead." He took up your hand and placed a kiss to your knuckles.

Let the games begin.

You put a smile onto your face. "I'm sorry that I crossed that bridge, I have no intention of having your heart."

You took your hand back from his possession.

"Oh shit." You heard one of his friends say from behind you.

"W-Well, did it hurt when you fell for me?"

"No because I didn't fall at all. In fact, I wouldn't fall, because I have a better sense of balance than you have on your life."

"You're right I don't have balance, and It's because one side of my scale is missing... you."

You opened your mouth and closed it, over and over again.

You sighed in defeat, "Yeah, I don't have a come back for that one."

"FINALLY!" John exclaimed. "You, Y/n, owe me a date."

"Yes, yes I do." You smiled at his giddiness.

-------

"And that children, is how your mother finally went on a date with me."