70: Au Clair de la Lune Pt. 1

Phillip Hamilton x Jefferson's Daughter!Reader

This accidentally turned into a series so there will be a part two!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spring was here.

The flowers in pasture were in full bloom. The French Marigolds, your favorite, sported their signature colors, a beautiful crimson red, mixing with a nice pastel yellow. They reminded you of your late mother who often took you out here to see them bloom in the spring.

You hummed a her lullaby to yourself, petting the petals carefully with your thumb not wanting to break them.

"Hello." Someone said from behind you, startling you enough to accidentally break the petal of one of your marigolds off. A sad look crossed your face, holding the petal between your fingers, you looked up from the damaged flower to the person who owned the voice, ready to give them a piece of your mind, when you stopped in your tracks.

You wanted to be angry with the man in front of you, but his smile melted all of that away. He was sitting on top of a horse, a satchel across his shoulder, and what seemed like sleeping stuff and other supplies attached to his saddle.

You wondered if he was a traveler, though he look close to your age, so maybe not. His tanned skin shone in the sun, the freckles dotting his face prominent, and the hat he wore hardly controlling the unruly curls under it.

Upon seeing him, you felt your thoughts roam dangerously close to thinking about what this could mean to you in the future, but you were helpless in stopping the thoughts.

It wasn't long before you realized you were staring. You shook your head out of your trance.

"Hello." You responded, standing up and brushing the dirt off of your skirts, closing your hand around the marigold petal.

The man seemed taken aback for a moment before saying. "I was wondering if you could help me."

"May I ask with what?"

"I need help finding Charlottesville." He scratched the back of his neck and chuckled nervously, before asking, "I am in Virginia, correct?"

You chuckled, "Yes. You are in Virginia." You started walking in the direction of the town, motinging for him to follow you.

He dismounted his horse, taking the reins in his hands before catching up and walking beside you.

"Why Charlottesville?" You asked, striking up a conversation.

"I'm here to study from one of my father's colleagues." He answered, and you smiled. Wishing you could do the same.

You father taught you as much as he could, but you wanted to experience college. Unfortunately, no matter how much your father tried, no colleges would admit you. Not even in France where you could have used your late mother's status. Guess even the president of the united states couldn't change the misogynistic minds of the college boards.

You could see the town of Charlottesville in the distance, it wasn't that far away, only a could hundred feet or so.

"You're beautiful..." The random comment pulled you from your thoughts, and you face covered with a blush. It only made the man beside you smile more.

"W-Where did that come from?" You stuttered, pushing your curly hair from face, suddenly self-conscious about how untamed it was.

"Nowhere. It's just... when a girl is beautiful, she should be told, and I make it my business to tell them, and you are exquisite..." He said, giving you a charming smile that made your knees weak.